The student grant of DUO entails a monthly contribution towards the cost of your studies and your living costs. Only Full-time EU/EEA-students may be eligible for a student grant, which includes nowadays:

  • a supplementary grant (depending on parental income)
  • a student travel product (Studenten OV-chipkaart)
  • a loan
  • Tuition fee loan students of UCU and UCR pay a higher (institutional) tuition fee and may request for a higher tuition fee loan 

The student travel product and supplementary grant are converted into a gift if you graduate within 10 years. Otherwise you will have to repay them. You always have to pay back the (tuition fee) loan 

Terms and conditions

Full-time EU/EEA-students may be eligible for a student grant, if they meet the following requirements:

  • You must be a citizen of an EU or EEA country.
  • You must be a full-time student on a higher education course in the Netherlands which is eligible for a student grant.
  • You must have at least 56 hours of employment per month.
  • You must have an employment contract for that work.
  • You must be under the age of 30 when you apply for a student grant (you may continue to receive the grant up until you turn 34, but only if the period during which you receive the grant is uninterrupted).
  • You must hold a Dutch bank account in your own name.

If you do not meet these requirements there are some special cases in which a student might be entitled to the regular student grant. For more information see DUO's nationality chart.

More information

For more information you can visit the website of DUO what answers questions such as:

  • What is covered by the student grant?
  • For how long will I be eligible for a student grant?
  • Terminating the student grant as of 1 February
  • Options for students from the EU/EEA
  • Amounts of student grant
  • Address check/registration with the municipal authority
  • Earning money while studying
    There is a maximum amount you can earn each calendar year. If you exceed the maximum, you must terminate your student grant and surrender your student public transport card.