Health and safety

Hopefully your stay in the Netherlands will be without any health or safety problems. Most likely this will be the case. However, should you need any medical assistance or emergency services, here is some useful information.


Most people in the Netherlands have a General Practitioner (GP) or family physician (huisarts in Dutch). This is your first point of contact for matters regarding your healthcare. Your GP can provide referrals to all specialists and to a hospital if necessary. Registering with a local practitioner or practice is one of the first things we advise you to do. Do you live in Utrecht? Or are you moving here? Then register with a GP near you. 

Find care


Find a GP via Zorgkaart Nederland (in Dutch) by filling in your postal code. 

GP, dentist, pharmacy etc.

Find a GP, dentist, pharmacy etc. via Zorgkaart Nederland (in Dutch) by filling in your postal code.

Emergency services
  • Call 112 for an ambulance, the police or fire brigade (this is the general European emergency number).
  • Call 0900-8844 for police matters that are NOT an emergency.
  • Call 030-253 4444 for Utrecht University Security.

Please note! Do NOT go to a hospital emergency room unless you have an actual emergency. To see a GP during the weekend or at night, go to a GP Urgent Care Center (Huisartsenpost) or call 0900-4501450.

Useful Dutch terms
  • Family Physician/General Practitioner = Huisarts
  • Dentist = Tandarts
  • Pharmacy = Apotheek
  • Hospital = Ziekenhuis
  • Emergency Room = Eerste Hulp
  • GP Urgent Care Center = Huisartsenpost

More information

Read more about healthcare for (international) students on the H4I or VIDIUS website.

Study delay

Please make sure to discuss any circumstances that might affect your studies or study progress with your study advisor in good time.