The major (specialisation) covers 75% of your Bachelor's programme. The other 25% is optional course profile (electives), in which you can freely choose courses that match your talents and ambitions. Be it individual courses or a coherent package of courses: a minor. Utrecht University offers a wide arrange of over 100 minors.


There are different types of Master's programmes within Utrecht University: academic, research and educative masters. The university also offers Pre-Master's programmes for students who are not directly admissible to a Master's programme.

Free programme

The university offers the possibility to compile a free programme. A free programme must always form a coherent whole and it must meet specific requirements and conditions of an existing degree programme. The specific requirements and conditions vary per degree programme. Would you like to know more? Then contact the study advisor and/or Board of Examiners of the degree programme you are enrolled in. Contact information can be found on the Students website, on the page of the relevant degree programme.

Broadening your horizon

You can fill in your eletives by doing an internship or taking courses at another institution of higher education in the Netherlands or go study abroad. The university offers honours programmes for very talented Bachelors's and Master's students.

Other education

You can come and study at Utrecht University as an international exchange student. It is possible to take on or more (paid or unpaid) non-degree courses. This differs per faculty. The university also offers PhD programmes.

Inclusive education

A priority of Utrecht University is to promote diversity and inclusiveness among students in order to create a safe and inspiring learning environment. What is the university is doing to promote equality, diversity and inclusion? See the programme of Equality, Diversity & Inclusion.

Directly to your study programme

Choosing a Bachelor's programme?

> See the overview of UU Bachelor's programmes 

Choosing a Master's programme?

See the overview of UU (Pre-)Master's programmes