Step 2. How do you apply for an exchange?
Make sure you have with you all the following documents in PDF format.
- Study abroad application form
- Proof of language proficiency (if applicable).
Apply in Osiris
You apply via Osiris Student. Make sure you do this before the deadline of 1 December 2023, 23:59. See below for more information.
NOTE: the form that you need to complete will be made available in here early October.
How do you fill in your application form?
- Select a top three and motivate your choice in English.
- See whether your preferred universities offer the courses you are looking for (base this on the current year).
- It is strongly advised to discuss your study plan with a Study Advisor before submitting in your application. For some UU study programmes it is even mandatory. Read on the page of your degree programme (under 'Studying abroad') what specific conditions apply for your study programme.
- This page will also show you who signs your study plan.
Please note: once you are selected you need to make sure that the subjects you want to include in your study programme have been approved. The Board of Examiners for your degree programme determines this. UU has no general rules for converting EC and marks achieved abroad. This authority rests with the Board of Examiners of each individual degree programme. They can use various conversion rules. However, guidelines have been drawn up and you can find them in the credit conversion table.
You can start your application in Osiris from 1 November:
Go to Osiris Student
Click on: Abroad*
Click on ‘New Request’ (bottom left)
In ‘Type’, select 'Application Exchange 2024-2025: Exchange to partner university'.
You must select at least 2 and no more than 3 destinations.
Don’t forget to click ‘Submit’ when you’ve finished!
* A new window will open in the old Osiris Student layout. Click on ‘abroad’ again in this screen. You may have to login again if your session has expired.
Available places are assigned in three rounds:
- In the first round, we will place students at their first destination choice when possible.
- Students that were not placed in the first round will be placed at their second destination if possible.
- The proces is repeated in the third round. This means that you can only be placed at your second (or third) choice if there are still available places at these destinations after the first (or second) round.
- 75% of the students are placed at their first choice.
In the past few years, destinations where 'selection was necessary' is mentioned on the website were full after the first round. We advise you not to select these as your 2nd or 3rd choice.
For every application, we first check to see if you meet the three conditions to go on an exchange. For destinations with too many applications, the selection proces is as follows:
- For universitywide destinations, we draw lots. In case of overapplication at a universitywide destination, exchange is only possible for 1 semester and not for a whole year.
- For faculty destinations the selection process varies per faculty. Check your study programme to see which selection rules apply.
Your top 3 can be a combination of faculty and universitywide destinations. It does not influence your chances of being placed. For more than half of the destinations, there are more available places than applications, in those cases direct placement is a possibility