Validity residence permit 

If you are a non-EU/EEA student and hold a residence permit for study purposes, your residence permit is only valid as long as you are enrolled as a student at Utrecht University. As of the date you are no longer enrolled, your residence permit becomes void and you will be required to leave the country within 28 days.

When you graduate, your residence permit for study purposes will remain valid until 3 months after you are deregistered from your educational institution, or until the start date of your orientation year. This does not apply if you end your study programme without graduating.

For more information please contact the visa department:

Working after graduation

If you want to pursue a career in the Netherlands after graduation you can apply for an ‘Orientation year’ residence permit. This residence permit gives you the opportunity to find a suitable job within one year after obtaining your degree.

While you are searching for a job you will have to pay your own way, either from your own funds or by finding other (temporary) employment. You may not claim state benefits.

More information on how you can apply for this residence permit.