Circumstances beyond your control

Applications for study delay in 2022-2023

Did you experience study delay due to force majeure in academic year 2022-2023? You could apply for graduation support via OSIRIS Case until 31 January 2024. From September 2024, you can apply for study delay compensation for study delays incurred in 2023-2024. Disclaimer: the scheme is currently being updated. More details on the new schemes, and the amount of compensation, are expected to follow in July 2024.

Important: always discuss circumstances beyond your control with your study advisor.


In certain cases, Utrecht University can provide compensation to (international) students who have fallen behind schedule in their studies, due to circumstances beyond their control.

We refer to this compensation as graduation support.

If you are a Dutch student, please find the information on graduation support (Afstudeersteun) on, as different rules and regulations apply.

What are circumstances beyond your control?

  • Illness (e.g. Pfeiffer, burnout, bone fracture)
  • Exceptional family circumstances (for example the death or illness of a parent)
  • Pregnancy and child-birth (note: no compensation is possible for the period after the birth)
  • Disability or chronic illness (for example dyslexia, ADHD/ADD, ASD, diabetes, Crohn’s disease).
  • Insufficient feasibility of the programme​. Note: the Minister does not regard study delay as a result of the COVID-19 measures as an Insufficient feasibility of the programme.  
  • Special circumstances other than those mentioned above. For example, a fire in your room, a process of gender transition or some types of caregiving (informal care). Note: the Minister does not regard study delay as a result of the COVID-19 measures as ground for applying the hardship clause.  

You can submit an application between mid-September 2023 and 31 January 2024.