If you want to (temporarily) end your study programme or if you are graduating, you can submit a Request for termination of enrolment in Studielink.

Be aware that (re-)enrolment is only possible with September 1st as starting date.

If you are enrolled in a privately funded Master’s programme or a premaster at the faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, please contact your Faculty Student Desk.

In principle, it is not possible to terminate your enrolment (or request a refund of part of the fee) for a premaster's programme.

Refund of (a proportionate part of) the premaster fee is only possible if you are unable to participate in the programme due to exceptional (personal) circumstances, or if you are excluded from further participation by the Board of Studies due to insufficient study progress. In case of personal circumstances, please make an appointment with the Student Counsellor to discuss your options, via Student Services

Important information
  • You cannot terminate your enrolment retroactively.
  • Your enrolment can be terminated as of the 1st of the month following your request for termination of enrolment, no sooner. This means that if you submit a request for termination in the month of September, your enrolment will be terminated as of 1 October. 
  • You can, if you choose, enter a later termination date during your request for termination of enrolment.
  • When you graduate, you may choose to terminate your enrolment as of the 1st of the month following your graduation date. You may also stay enrolled for the rest of the academic year, in which case your enrolment automatically ends as of 1 September. Of course you will then be required to pay the tuition fee for the rest of the academic year. 

If you are receiving a student grant and/or a travel card from DUO, your entitlement to these ends per the date of termination of your enrolment. If, for instance, you terminate your enrolment as of 1 October, you should stop your student grant and travel card as of 1 October as well with DUO, and you should do so before this date.

Please note:

  • If you are 30 years of age or older and you cancel your student grant and travel card, you will no longer be able to reactivate them.
  • Once you are no longer enrolled as a student, you may no longer qualify for agreements you entered into as a student, such as student housing, a student bank account, or insurance policy.

In the Educatorium at De Uithof there is also a pick-up device where you can stop your travel card.

After termination of enrolment, tuition fees are only owed for the months you were enrolled. You are entitled to a refund of 1/12th of the total tuition fees for that academic year for each month you are no longer enrolled.

Please note: 

  • Termination of enrolment as of 1 July or 1 August does not entitle you to a refund.
  • For pre-master's students no early termination of enrolment and refund is possible.
  • For flexible study - students: If you deregister, you will not receive a refund of tuition fees. No exceptions are possible.

After termination of your enrolment, you can still make use of the facilities for which you need a Solis-id for 180 days. Please note that you can only access the library facilities from within the library itself.

Please note that if you are no longer enrolled, you might no longer be entitled to student insurance, student bank account, etc.

Then there are several (financial) consequences and regulations you should be aware of.

Do you want your enrolment to end as of 1 September? Or do you decide to stop in the month June, July or August? Then there is no need to request termination of enrolment. Your current enrolment will automatically end as of 1 September.

Also, the fact that you graduate does not mean you must terminate your enrolment. You may choose to stay enrolled for the rest of the academic year, in which case your enrolment will automatically end as of 1 September.

You have to stop your student grant and travel card from DUO as of 1 September, if you receive these, and do so before this date.

You can cancel your enrolment (application) until the start of your study programme:

  • When enrolling per 1 September, you can cancel until 31 August at the latest
  • If you are enrolling per 1 February (a starting date that applies to some programmes) you can cancel until 31 January at the latest.

In either case, you will not be required to pay any tuition fees.

Are you debating whether to work or study? Explore your career options or ask your Career Officer for advice.

If you are a non-EU/EEA student and hold a residence permit for the purpose of study, this becomes void as of the date of termination of enrolment and you will be required to leave the country within 28 days.

For more information please contact the Visa Department: visa@uu.nl 

If you are enrolled for the first time in 2020-2021 for one of the five fixus programmes (www.uu.nl/limitedenrolment) and you want to terminate your enrolment, you do not have to take part in the selection again for academic year 2021-2022.

Exception is Medicine: if you terminate your enrolment, you will automatically receive a negative BSA. If you are unable to receive a reserved study advice, you will not be able to study Medicine in Utrecht for four years. After those four years, you can come back without taking part in the selection.