Studying with a disability

Utrecht University wants to ensure that all students feel welcome and receive the support they need to make the most of their studies. If you have a disability, you can apply for special facilities and support.

Utrecht University defines a disability as follows: a disability is a chronic disorder (diagnosed by a certified professional) that can hinder a student’s ability to participate fully in (higher) education.

For example:

  • Dyslexia
  • AD(H)D
  • A chronic illness
  • A physical (visual, auditory, or motor) impairment
  • Autism (ASD)
  • Chronic mental health disorders.


There are various provisions, facilities and support services for students with a disability at Utrecht University:

  • Advising and Counselling
    Have you encountered a problem or are you looking for personal advice? You can contact your study advisor, a student psychologist, a student counsellor or your tutor.
  • Practical provisions / special facilities
    You can submit a request for practical provisions (special facilities) via OSIRIS Student (tab Cases > Application for special facilities). An example of a practical provision is extra time when sitting exams. Do you already have provisions from the UU? Then you do not need to submit a request via OSIRIS. Your provisions will be registered in OSIRIS by your study programme. Your programme will inform you.
    Contact your study advisor if you have any questions.
  • Financial provisions
    If you are delayed in your studies as a consequence of circumstances beyond your control (e.g. disability), you may be eligible for financial support. There are various financial provisions for which you may be eligible. Many of these will depend on whether you are eligible for a Dutch student grant (DUO).


Do you have questions about studying with a disability, or applying for practical provisions, feel free to contact your study advisor. The provisions/facilities may differ from those you had at a previous university or school. Agreements will be laid down in OSIRIS. It is important to seek contact as soon as possible, to ensure that there is enough time to make the necessary arrangements.

The counselling system at University College Utrecht is different: it has a dedicated Disability Services Coordinator, who you can contact in regards to studying with a disability.

Please note: You may have to request support again when starting your Master's degree programme.


Feel free to contact the student counsellors via:, they will help you. They will treat your information confidentially, and will not share any information with third parties (for example, the student advisor or examination board) without your permission. However, the student counsellors may have to refer you with your question - in which case they will let you know who you can turn to. 

Student psychologists

The student psychologists at UU offer short-term help and treatment for study-related or personal problems.

Other support services

  • Career Services
  • Skills Lab Writing Centre
  • Educational Consultancy & Professional Development (smart study techniques, individual coaching)
  • Academic Support Advisor (study choice, master selection)

More information can be found on our workshops page. 


The overview of all buildings provides information on accessibility for each building, such as wheelchair entrances, lifts, and quiet rooms. We are actively improving the access to our buildings.

If you run into anything yourself (think of key cabinets for lifts that are too high, thresholds that are too high, etc.), you can report this by contacting the Facility Service Centre (FSC).

More information

  • Contact your study advisor, a student psychologist or student counsellor
  • Studying without Limitations is a peer to peer group for students with a disability. The members of the Platform are experts by experience, and are happy to share their knowledge with you.
  • Looking for information on housing? See (general information for international students) as well as the SSH webpage Wonen op Maat (information about housing for various target groups with either a disability, a specific background or a special housing need).