Pregnancy and studying as a parent

Have you become pregnant while studying? Are you already a parent? You may be eligible for support from the university, some of it financial. You may also have access to other forms of financial assistance in the form of government benefits.

Talk to your Study Advisor

If you are pregnant, it is important to schedule an appointment with the Study Advisor at your programme as soon as possible. The two of you can review whether adjustments to your degree programme will be necessary. If you are a parent and studying at university, it may also be important to get in touch with your Study Advisor. You may want to discuss things like adjustments to your degree programme or the possibility of study delays if your child were to fall ill.

Lactation rooms

There are rooms around the university that are suitable for use as lactation rooms.

More information on lactation rooms.

Financial support

If pregnancy and childbirth cause a delay in your studies, you may qualify for financial aid from the university, subject to a few additional requirements. As a rule, such support will be provided for at most 4 months.

More information about this financial support.


The government provides a number of possible benefits related to pregnancy and parenthood. There is a childcare allowance administered by the Revenue service (Belastingdienst). The amount of allowance you will receive depends on your situation. For example, how much childcare you expect to need each month and whether or not you have a partner in receipt of the allowance.

You can also contact the Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs (DUO) to request a single-parent supplement to your student finance, for those caring for a minor without a partner.

Useful websites

Student Counsellor

Student Counsellor Marjan Merton ( is the university contact for studying parents. Contact her if you have any questions at all.