Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, München (LMU)
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität (München) is an exchange destination for bachelor and master students of Utrecht University School of LAW
Semester fees for the Munich Student Union: This fee is mandatory in Germany for the enrolment at the University for all students
Course information (no login necessary, click on: Vorlesungsverzeichnis)
The up-to-date course catalogue is available only two months before the beginning of each semester. To get an idea of courses offered, you can consult the previous catalogues and fac-ulty websites, where there is often general information about choosing courses.As an Erasmus+ / SEMP / UK student you must choose at least 60%of your course modules in the subject defined in the bilateral agreement. If the agreement is for more than one sub-ject area (faculty-wide agreement), you should take at least 60% of courses in your major / minor. You should take the other 40%of your course modules in no more than two further subject areas (example: 60% of courses in German Philology, 20% of courses in History and 20% of courses in Political Science). If you are a student of Languages / Literature, you may choose courses freely from all departments in the Faculty of Languages and Literatures. If you have no previous knowledge and study experience in a subject area, you will solely be permitted to take introductory courses in this field. As a rule, bachelor students will not be permitted to take master courses (any exceptions to this rule will be decided by LMU).
Language requirements: minimum German language B1 level (CEFR)
It is required that you submit proof of this language proficiency at your application at the host university.
Courses taught in English are limited. We advise all students interested in LMU acquire at least level B2 (but preferably C1) in German at the start of your semester in München.
LMU offers special intensive language course before the start of semester 1 (a fee of around € 400,- is applicable).
Semester I (Winter Semester): approximately October – February
Please note that semester 2 at LMU runs until the end of July. Receiving your transcript might take some time (up to 3 months)
|Language of instruction
English and German
The “Studentenwerk München” provides a number of rooms under their “service package” scheme for exchange students. However, rooms are limited and therefore cannot be guaranteed for all exchange students.
|Estimated living costs per month
According to a consumer goods database, the cost of living in Germany for a single person is 867 €/month. Munich is a bit more expensive than most German cities, so you should calculate with about 900 €/month (when living in a student dorm). You can find further information on our website.
Normal study load per term: 30 ECTS
Language requirement: a minimum language level of B1 (CEFR) in German is required.
|Number of places available
4 semester places per year, or 2 full year places
Students from EU/EEA countries and from Switzerland must present the valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) when registering for university admission, including a photocopy of the EHIC card.
Do you have any questions about this partner university or would you like to know more?
Contact the International Exchange Office of the Faculty of Law, Economics and Governance.
The information on this Utrecht University website is compiled with the greatest possible care. Nevertheless it is possible that there are imperfections in the information.
Utrecht University cannot be held liable for the content of the information on its website and / or for the consequences of its use. No rights can be derived from the information as displayed on the website of Utrecht University.