When to apply
Only applications of students who have already graduated will be accepted. Don’t apply before all your grades are in. If you are still finishing a thesis or an internship, please wait until that has been completed and graded
Applications will be accepted after the winter or summer term after your graduation. The deadlines for these rounds are March 1st (for Fall and Winter graduates) and October 1st (for Spring/Summer graduates). Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
The Honours Certificate is not your academic degree. This is something that has been introduced in all honours programs across the university. The Honours Certificate is a UU document.
Applicants will only be considered if they meet the following criteria:
- a minimum final GPA of 3.6 (no rounding up)
- no history of social or academic probation;
- at least 2 Curriculum Enrichment options, e.g. participation in the student-led honours course (INTHON32), or other courses at UCU, UU or elsewhere that you regard as worth mentioning;
- at least 20 extra ECTS or more on top of the 180 necessary to graduate.
- some international experience (in order to achieve our goal of producing “global citizens” we require some international experience. This does not have to be a full semester abroad but can also take the form of experience with international communities in the Netherlands. We encourage you to be creative when thinking about your international experience beyond the gates of UCU).
How to apply
Collate the following documents (1., 2., 3.) such that you have a single document. Send this information in one pdf file to the Honours Director: email@example.com.
- A Transcript listing all of your courses and grades.
- Write an Academic Reflection on how you have lived out the Liberal Arts and Sciences vision (limit: 750 words), i.e. on the relation between your tracks, your minor, your curriculum enrichment options. For example, explain how progressing in one of your tracks has helped you become a better student of your other track. Or explain, e.g. how a curriculum enrichment course has opened your eyes to areas of studies or methodologies you were not acquainted with before. In other words, this is NOT an extract from your journal telling us the ups and downs of your 3 years at UCU, but a scholarly reflection.
- Fill in the Table of Achievements using short bullet points. This document (composed by the previous Honours Director, dr. Rosemary Orr), might give you an idea of what might be relevant. In the Table of Achievements, consider mentioning, if applicable, the following elements:
- ECTS breadth – ECTS completed outside of your department and Language and Culture requirement; either part of a minor or not; if you are an interdepartmental major, mention it;
- active international experience, e.g. Exchange – mention GPA needed for your exchange destination; UCU Africa, Aruba program or international internships;
- Leadership in community engagement;
- Extracurricular activity, on campus, in the local area, elsewhere in the Netherlands or abroad; successful engagement (awards, prizes, public performances) in sport, art, music or other kind of activity requiring dedication, discipline, perseverance and practice