At UCU you can do an internship as part of your curriculum. Descriptions can be found on the course outlines page.
|Internship UCACCINT21||Focus on work experience.
7,5 ECTS; graded Pass/Fail; counts as elective course; reflective report required
Coordinated by Career Development Officer Bas Defize (see details below)
UCHUMINT21 / UCSCIINT21 / UCSSCINT21
|Focus on both work experience and academic depth.
7,5 ECTS; graded A-F; counts towards major; academic and reflective report required
What makes an internship academic or not?
Any internship that counts towards your degree should be somehow connected to the academic fields you are interested in and you must be able to explain how the work experience will attribute to your Liberal Arts education. It requires you to write a reflection from an academic perspective, relating your knowledge and academic curiosity to for example what the organization you worked for means for society, what it is like to work with non-academics etcetera. If your internship contains actual research (e.g. in a lab) or if you write up your experiences in an academic essay, then a UCU fellow may allow you to count your internship towards your major.
- At least 60% of the work involves research that is performed using a well-defined, academically accepted methodology.
- The report contains a thorough introduction, a results section, a discussion and an appropriate and state of the art reference list. Depending on the department, this internship is labeled UCSSC/SCI/HUMINT21, and the academic supervisor (2nd reader if you wish) should be a teacher from UCU.
- At least 200 hours of work are spent on the internship.
Doing an internship 'off the grid' if of course possible as well. Not all internships fit into the UCU 7,5 EC model or lend themselves for a reflective report.
You can find the registration forms here.
Registration process in short:
- Plan with your tutor
- Find a host organization/supervisor
- Find a UCU supervisor (Career Development Officer or fellow depending on the academic content)
- Finalize registration with your tutor
- Hand in documentation for your internship to show