Within all Master's programmes one or more research projects are mandatory. Please see ‘Study programme’ for general information on such projects in your curriculum. In many cases, a research project may be carried out outside of the university, in the form of an internship at a company, research institute, or another university. This can be in the Netherlands as well as abroad (see also: ‘study abroad’).
You are required to apply for approval of your research project by submitting a request via Osiris Student. Please select ‘My Cases’, ‘Start Case’ and then ‘Research Project GSNS’. Important: in order to apply completely and correctly, you must have discussed the project setup with your intended project supervisor beforehand! We advise you to study the request form previous to discussing it with your supervisor, or fill it out together, to make sure you obtain all of the information required.
After submitting your request, it will be forwarded to your master’s programme coordinator, the board of examiners and student affairs for checks and approvals. After approval of your project it will be automatically registered in Osiris. If something needs to be amended, you will be notified by email. Please DO NOT register yourself in OSIRIS for the relevant research project courses. You will be automatically registered upon approval of the Research Application Form.
- In addition to the request for approval a Study Plan Form needs to be submitted which has to be discussed with the Programme Coordinator Dr. Annik van Keer.
- Please note that this protocol (English version) applies when a project is delayed.
- In case of a project or internship outside of Utrecht University, please make sure you fill out the Work Placement Agreement in Osiris Student / My Cases. This agreement will be available for filling out in Osiris Student/My Cases after you have submitted your initial request for research project approval.
- Only for students that have started their research project prior to 1 November 2018: your project supervisor will fill out the assessment form part 1 at the end of the first part of your project, and the assessment form part 2 at the end of the second part of your project and hand it in at the Science Student Desk (in PDF) in order to have your grade registered in Osiris. (For all other students the assessment is done in Osiris Docent and the paper forms cannot be accepted anymore)
- These guidelines apply for the evaluation of the research project.