University of California is a universitywide partner in California, the United States.
The University of California offers an opportunity to go on exchange through the Education Abroad Program (EAP). This program has three basic characteristics:
- Exchange on Bachelor’s (undergraduate) level.
- You can apply to all of the 9 UC campuses of UC. You list 3 campus choices in the EAP application after you have been selected
- Placement on the campus of your first choice cannot be guaranteed, but EAP will try to meet your top 3 preference. There is a small chance that you will be placed on a campus outside your top 3.
Below you will find the student experiences per campus.
After your selection at Utrecht University, you will apply online at UC. You have to list a top 3 of UC-campusses where you would like to be placed. When your application is reviewed by UC they will place you on a campus. It is not possible to change this.
Please read the experiences carefully and make an informed decision. All campusses at UC offer a great exchange experience!
Please check the timeline
- You need an average grade of at least 6,85 / GPA 2.85 at the time of your UU application. This concerns the average of all your UU grades.
- You will need to have a minimum number of 90 ECTS at the time of departure.
- EAP is unable to accept students who already have a bachelor diploma (it is fine if you have fulfilled all your bachelor requirements but do not yet have your diploma when you start your studies at UC). The only exception could be an exchange to UC Davis.
After selection by Utrecht University, you will have to fulfill the language requirements
You will receive more information about this during the EAP Meeting in December.
Almost all (undergraduate) areas of study are open to exchange students, but there are restrictions! Please keep in mind that some Bachelor’s majors may be very popular and selective. It may therefore be more difficult, and sometimes not possible, to register for courses in this field, and you must be prepared to attend any host UC campus. For all information about these Impacted Majors and the information on prerequisites please look at the majors information.
Bachelor students: students are advised not to follow more than 17 UC units. 1 UC unit is 1.33 ECTS. Exceptions can be made but only on special request.
It is not possible to go on this EAP exchange at Master’s (graduate) level.
Graduate students may be able to create their own exchange possibility by contacting a UC professor directly to check if they can come to UC as a ‘Visiting Student / Researcher’.
- Los Angeles
- San Diego
- Santa Barbara
- Santa Cruz
Housing facilities are not guaranteed by EAP and must be arranged by the applicant. However, the host campus can assist you in finding university-owned or private accommodation. More information about housing can be found in the Student Guide and the Pre-Arrival Instructions.
Living expenses differ per campus and there is a large variation.
You can find information on this university’s credits in the credit conversion table
30 places per year
If you have any questions about this universitywide partner university, contact the universitywide International Office.