University of California is a universitywide partner in California, the United States.


General information for exchange students

Course information - look at the class schedule of a campus (and not ‘courses’ / catalog)

Need to know

The University of California offers an opportunity to go on exchange through the Education Abroad Program (EAP). This program has three basic characteristics:

  1. Exchange on Bachelor’s (undergraduate) level.
  2. You can apply to all of the 9 UC campuses (you must list 3 campus choices in the EAP application; you will not yet have to make these choices in the UU application! In the UU application the University of California/EAP makes one choice).
  3. Placement on the campus of your first choice cannot be guaranteed, but EAP will try to meet your top 3 preference. There is a small chance that you will be placed on a campus outside your top 3.


Academic calendar

Download the academic calendar (pdf)

  • You need an average grade of at least 6,85 / GPA 2.85 at the time of your UU application. This concerns the average of all your UU grades.
  • You will need to have a minimum number of 90 ECTS at the time of departure.
  • EAP is unable to accept students who already have a bachelor diploma (it is fine if you have fulfilled all your bachelor requirements but do not yet have your diploma when you start your studies at UC). The only exception could be an exchange to UC Davis.  
Areas of study open to exchange students

Almost all (undergraduate) areas of study are open to exchange students, but there are restrictions! Please keep in mind that some Bachelor’s majors may be very popular and selective. It may therefore be more difficult, and sometimes not possible, to register for courses in this field, and you must be prepared to attend any host UC campus. For all information about these Impacted Majors and the information on prerequisites please look at the majors information.

Courses at Master’s level

It is not possible to go on this EAP exchange at Master’s (graduate) level.

Graduate students may be able to create their own exchange possibility by contacting a UC professor directly to check if they can come to UC as a ‘Visiting Student / Researcher’.

  • Berkeley
  • Davis
  • Irvine
  • Los Angeles
  • Merced
  • Riverside
  • San Diego
  • Santa Barbara
  • Santa Cruz
Housing assistance

Housing facilities are not guaranteed by EAP and must be arranged by the applicant. However, the host campus can assist you in finding university-owned or private accommodation. More information about housing can be found in the Student Guide and the Pre-Arrival Instructions.

Estimated living costs per month

Living expenses differ per campus and there is a large variation. 

More information

Credits and grading

Normal course load per term

At undergraduate level:
Berkeley and Merced: 15 semester units
other UC campuses: 15 quarter units

At graduate level:
There is an unwritten rule that students have to put in about 1.5 times as much work for the same number of graduate credits as for undergraduate credits. Students who follow graduate courses are therefore expected to take fewer credits per semester.

A (excellent)
B (good)
C (adequate)
D (barely passing)
F (fail)
P (pass)
NP (no pass)
S (satisfactory)
U (unsatisfactory)
I (incomplete)
IP (in progress)
NG (no grade reported)

grades below C- are not considered acceptable.
you will need special permission from your Board of Examiner’s to take a course P/NP/S/U.

 Please note that there are differences per campus. Please look in the Student Guide for specifics.

Number of places available

60 places per year

University of California
University of California
University of California

More information

More information about studying abroad: in Dutch and in English.


If you have any questions about this universitywide partner university, contact the universitywide International Office.