U-TEAch (Utrecht Teacher Education Academy) is an honours track which provides extra enrichment to the regular Teacher Education possible to Utrecht University. U-TEAch is a full time one-year track.

Study Programme

Apart from the regular teacher training programme, U-TEAch offers you three integrated modules: Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL), International and Cross Cultural Education (ICE) and Internationalise your Classroom (IYC).

The innovative U-TEAch course is offered in partnership with various international and bilingual partner schools in the Netherlands and abroad. This creates a perfect combination of theory and practice.

During the first semester you take classes in English* two days a week at the university, and the rest of the week you teach your subject in English at either a bilingual school (TTO) or international IB school. When you teach at a TTO school, you will also teach a number of lessons in Dutch.

You will be taught and coached by a team of experienced teachers at our partner schools and teacher educators. This combination of work and study means that you have the opportunity to immediately practice what you learn in class in a classroom environment.

*Classes are all in English, except for lectures on your subject methodology.

Below you will find an overview of the courses that you will take during the U-TEAch programme.

Block 1 and 2 (first semester)

During the first semester you will start with the vocationally oriented courses that are part of the programme. You will develop professional (teaching) competences during your internship and by taking the courses taught at the Graduate School of Teaching.

Courses (30 EC):

Apart from the courses mentioned above, you will start with the course below. You will finish this course at the end of the second semester, after returning from your internship abroad.

Block 3 and 4 (second semester)

During the second semester you will continue with the vocationally oriented courses, and go abroad for your second internship (see Internship and in-service students). After returning you will finish the three courses that already have started during the first semester.

Courses (30 EC):

Second teaching practice abroad

The second internship abroad is mandatory and will take place between February and May. You will go abroad for three to four months, usually in pairs or threes.

This training period takes place either in a bilingual, mainstream or international school abroad.

You will be asked to teach and assume responsibility for a number of classes at one of our partner schools, though the ultimate responsibility for your classes rests with your school supervisor. At this moment internships are being offered in South Africa, Norway, Poland and Saint Maarten.

Grants from the VIOS-programme (Europees Platform) may be available for the internships abroad that take place in Europe.

In-service students

If you are already teaching but want to join U-TEAch you can apply to the U-TEAch in-service programme. During your U-TEAch course, you work at your own school and are at the university for two days a week for an academic year.

To enter the U-TEAch course, you need to be teaching a minimum of 5 lessons and an absolute maximum of 12 (50 minutes) lessons per week at a bilingual school or international school in the Netherlands. Please note that in the second semester you should at teach at least 60 lessons in the upper forms (bovenbouw). See 'stagebrochure' (pdf, in Dutch) for further requirements.

Your course starts with an introductory period of one full-time week. After this, you work at school three days each week and spend the other two days at the university where you have the opportunity to reflect on your in-school experiences. It is vital that your school provides supervision.

You have the possibility to go abroad for a short period during the second part of the course as well as continuing to work at your own school.

Career opportunities

The course leads to a Dutch first-degree teaching certificate which fully qualifies you to teach at Dutch schools in your school subject. In addition to the first-degree teaching certificate, you will receive a U-TEAch honours certificate to provide evidence that you have specialized in international and bilingual teaching.

More information

For questions about U-TEAch, enrolment, admission et cetera, please check our FAQ (pdf) or contact our student advisor via studieadviseur.gst@uu.nl.

Within the U-TEAch honours track, Matt Decovsky (m.i.decovsky@uu.nl) and Peter Mesker (p.mesker@uu.nl) are tutors.

Matt Decovsky is coordinator of the U-TEACH track.

Students who are doing part of their study programme abroad must register this fact in OSIRIS. If you are eligible for a public transport reimbursement (see Financing bar below), you can only receive it if you are properly registered. In order to do this, complete the following steps:

  • Fill in the form Approval of internship/research/fieldwork abroad (pdf) and have it signed by your supervisor.
  • In OSIRIS, click on the 'International' tab, select 'New request' at the bottom of the page and select the option Internship / (field)research / other stay abroad.
  • Fill in the form completely and do not forget to upload the signed form as an attachment.
  • The International Office will assess your request within a few days. If everything is in order, the status of your request will be set to 'approved'.
  • Once this is done, your registration in OSIRIS is complete.

International internships or research projects often entail extra costs. It is wise to keep this in mind and ensure proper financial planning. There are different possibilities in order to get a grant to cover (part of) the costs.

Erasmus grant

For internships within Europe, you can apply for an Erasmus grant. For more information about the Erasmus grant, contact the university’s International Office.

Utrecht Network Young Researchers Grant

If you are going to a university that is associated with the Utrecht Network, you may be eligible for a Utrecht Network Young Researchers Grant.

Public transport reimbursement

For the months that you spend abroad, you can convert your public transport card (OV) into a reimbursement [OV-vergoeding]. See the procedure on the DUO website (in Dutch). You can get the form signed at the Student Information Point (STIP) desk. Please note, however, that the form will only be signed if you are registered in OSIRIS and your registration is approved by the International Office (see 'Registration in Osiris' in the bar above).

Other funds and grants

You can apply for a variety of private funds and grants for your international research or internship. A useful site with an overview of funds is www.beursopener.nl (mainly in Dutch).