Rhodes University is a universitywide partner university in Grahamstown, South Africa.


General information for exchange students

Course information for exchange students: Please visit the departmental websites for course outlines or see the timetable

Academic calendar

Semester I: February –June
Semester II: July – December

Social media


Areas of study open to exchange students

All areas, except Pharmacy (please note that not all courses are available to short-term students).

Courses at Master’s level

Yes, but subject to selection process. Masters at Rhodes University are usually primarily by thesis, with a few taught courses. Students interested in doing Master's courses at Rhodes should communicate with the International Officer to determine the availability of courses.

Language of instruction


Housing assistance

All short-term exchange students are required to stay in on-campus accommodation. You will be allocated to one of the various residences. 

Estimated living costs per month

Accommodation costs: R25.500 per semester (= €1.841). Rhodes University residences include 3 meals a day and internet access.

Students are required to find alternative accommodation during the mid-semester break. It is suggested that students allocate R5.000 for accommodation and living expenses during this time.

Students should allocate roughly R1.000-R2.000 per month in residence for recreational activities.

Credits and grading

For the purposes of Exchange programmes, the RU International Office weights courses as follows:

1 semester of a 1st or 2nd year subject = 7.5 EC
1 semester of a 3rd year subject = 15 EC
1 semester of a 4th year subject = 30 EC

Note that your own exam committee (at the faculty where you study at UU) will decide how many EC they will give for a course, and how the grades are converted. The above may serve as a guideline.

Number of places available

2 place per year


More information

More information about studying abroad: in Dutch and in English.


If you have any questions about this universitywide partner university, contact the universitywide International Office.