Universidad Autónoma de Madrid

Universidad Autónoma de Madrid is an exchange destination for Utrecht University Bachelor students of the Faculty of Humanities in Madrid, Spain.

Student experiences

Read about the student experiences


General information for exchange students

Faculty information

Course information

Courses in English

Academic calendar

Semester I: approximately  September – January
Semester II: approximately February – June

Academic Calendar


Language requirement: a B1 language level (CEFR) in Spanish is required. However, a B2 language level is recommended.

Spanish language courses: The UAM Language Service organizes Spanish language courses with a reduced fee of 65 euros for students coming from partner universities. Check more information on the Language Service Website.

Please note that it cannot be guaranteed that you can enrol in only English-taught courses (due to enrolment limitations).

Areas of study open to exchange students

History and Archaeology. Subjects taught here include: 

  • History
  • International Studies

Students have to take at least 75% of courses within the International Relations and/or History degree ( part of the Facultad de Filosofía y Letras). The other 25% of courses can be chosen within the Facultad de Filosofía y Letras or other faculties, if students meet the requirements. 

Courses at Master’s level


Language of instruction

Spanish, English

Housing assistance

More information

Estimated living costs per month
  • Menu of the day: €10-15
  • Food: €150/month
  • Coffee: €1.50
  • Soft drink: 1- €1.5
  • Transport season ticket: €20/month (for those under 26 years of age)
  • Entrance to a representative museum: €12. Almost all museums have student discounts and many have free hours, usually in the afternoons.
  • Taxi/Cabify/Uber ride from the airport to the center: approx. €30

This information is subject to change. It is meant to be an indication. Costs may differ due to personal circumstances.


Normal study load per semester: 30 EC

Number of places available

4 places.

Social Media

Twitter / Facebook / Instagram

Additional information



Do you have any questions about this partner university or about studying abroad? Contact the International Office of the Faculty of Humanities (details below).