The University of Hong Kong


The University of Hong Kong is a universitywide partner in Hong Kong, China.

Student experiences

Download the student experiences


General information for exchange students

Course information

Social media



Welcome to HKU! (YouTube)

HKU Students Experiences (YouTube)

Academic calendar

Semester I: 1st week of September – 3rd week of December
Semester II: 3rd week of January – 3rd week of May

Orientation generally commences the last week of August for Semester I and mid January for Semester II.

Exams take place the 2nd and 3rd week of December for Semester I and the 2nd and 3rd week of May for Semester II.


GPA (Average Grade)

There is no GPA requirement for this destination.

English Language Requirement

After selection by Utrecht University, you will have to fulfill the language requirements: a TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo or other acceptable test result. You can find more details on the language requirements on the website of the host university.


Areas of study open to exchange students

All, except for courses offered by the following Faculties/programmes:

  • Faculty of Architecture
  • Faculty of Dentistry
  • Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine
  • BSc (Exercise and Health) Programme
  • Most final year project courses provided by all faculties

Law – Generally, the standards for admission for exchange and visiting students are at least upper second-class honours (2:1) results (which converts to approximately a CGPA of 3.33). 

Business & Economics – Courses offered by the Faculty of Business and Economics (FBE) are highly competitive.

Students who are in their final year in particular, should note that course enrollment is NOT guaranteed.
Students who apply to FBE should have a grade level of B average / CGPA 3.0 / Satisfactory level.

If you are interested in Law or Business/Economics courses, please inform the region coordinator after selection. Lottery might be necessary.

Courses at Master’s level

Not in general, but you can inquire with the exchange officer at HKU.

Language of instruction

All courses, except those offered by the School of Chinese, are taught in English.

Housing assistance

Hall accommodation is available but NOT guaranteed. Most of the rooms are double rooms, expect to pay around 3000 HK$ per month. For those residents whose halls do not provide compulsory meal plans, they can have meals on campus.

Housing has become more scarce in recent years, increasing the possibility students have to look for housing themselves. Note that this can take a lot of time.

More information 

Estimated living costs per month

Estimated living costs for an undergraduate student are around 10.000 HKD per month (1257 EUR). (Estimate from 2020).

You can find a more detailed breakdown of the living costs here.


You can find information on this university’s credits in the credit conversion table

Number of places available

6-9 places per year


Selection was not necessary last year.

Additional information

Students with Chinese nationality can not apply for an exchange at this university.



If you have any questions about this universitywide partner university, contact the universitywide International Office:

Asia, Latin America & Middle East

Name: Ms. Clim Gorissen

North America & UK

Name: Ms. Cathelijne van Weelden

Australia, New Zealand, South Africa & Spain*

Name: Ms. Tessel Arendsen

* Universidad Complutense de Madrid and Universitat de Barcelona


Name: Ms. Mandy van den Houten

photo of Patrick Chan

General exchange questions

Name: Patrick Chan

Erasmus+ grant questions

The International Office can only help you with questions related to the content of your Learning Agreement and with signing documents on behalf of the Sending Institution.

For all other Erasmus+ grant related questions, please refer to the Erasmus+ grants for Studies page (scroll down to “Contact the Erasmus Office” to make an appointment) or send an e-mail to

For questions about faculty programmes and internships, contact the Faculty International Offices.

Phone availability

Phone: +31 (0)30-2531224
Office hours for calling: Monday and Thursday, 13:30-15:00 - NOT AVAILABLE: 15 July – 15 August 2024

Make an appointment via Teams

We are available for appointments via Teams. If you have a question, use the calendar below to make an appointment.

If you are unable to make it to your appointment, please do not forget to cancel.