Sociology: Contemporary Social Problems

Understanding social problems better and coming up with solutions

Sociologists are interested in contemporary social themes such as criminality, the integration of immigrants, religion and culture, families and social inequality, norms and conflicts. How can we understand all the phenomena you read and hear about in the media? In the Sociology: Contemporary Social Problems Minor, you study these social issues and learn to come up with policy solutions. How do social problems arise, and what can be done about them?

The Minor programme totals 30 ECTS and has two versions:

Version A - International exchange students
​Version B - Dutch students (UU, FSW, Dutch universities)

Easy to incorporate in your study programme

This Minor is designed to facilitate incorporation in the study programme of students. You can choose to take the Minor within one semester, or to spread the courses over one or more academic years.

Two distinct versions

The first version (version A) is aimed at international exchange students, especially (but not limited to!) students who are interested in applying for the one-year Master’s programme Sociology: Contemporary Social Problems. The second version (version B) is aimed at Dutch students (from FSW Bachelor's programmes or other Bachelor's programmes) as a preparation for an English-language Master's programme at our Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences.

In version A, students have to choose either Criminal behaviour during the life course or Sociology of organisations. Each of these courses provides a firm theoretical basis and deepens your knowledge of either policy and or organisation theory in research. In version B, the Dutch course Beleids- en evaluatieonderzoek is obligatory and students have to choose either Criminal behaviour during the life course or Inleiding sociologie, depending on their starting level in the social sciences.

How you should enrol depends on whether you are an Utrecht University student, a student from another Dutch University or an exchange student: 

Minor declaration

If you are a student of Utrecht University, the minor will be included in your International Diploma Supplement (provided that you have met all the requirements, of course).

If you are not a student of the University, it may be useful to request a minor declaration. This will allow you to demonstrate that you have successfully completed the minor. When you have passed all courses of this minor, you can apply for a minor declaration in Osiris Case. To do so, you must be enrolled in the minor.

Would you like to know more?

For more information, please contact dr. Tali Spiegel: