University of Helsinki is an exchange destination for Utrecht University Bachelor and Master students of the faculty of Humanities in Helsinki, Finland.

Student experiences
Academic calendar

Semester I: approximately August – December
Semester II: approximately January – May

Academic Calendar

Requirements

The University of Helsinki requires language skills in English, Finnish or Swedish that correspond to Level B2 on the CEFR scale. 

Areas of study open to exchange students

Subject area History and Art History. Students may choose for 50% within Humanities and Arts, but will have to meet the requirements of the course. Students History and Art History do have priority, but LAS and TCS students with a History and Art History profile may apply.

Master only: Communication and Media (agreement: Journalism and Communication) is within the Faculty of Social Sciences. Students should take at least 51 percent of the courses within the agreement. Uptil a maximum of 49 percent of the student's courses can be taken in other subjects within the faculty. Some limitations apply (for example it is not possible to take MA courses in other subjects without sufficient academic background in the subject in question). It is often possible to take 1-2 courses from other faculties as well, but there are some restrictions (scroll to "Restrictions in attending courses").

Master only: Genderstudies

Students have to take at least 51 percent of their courses within the Gender Studies program (MA). However, students are allowed to take the other 49 percent of their courses within the Faculty of Arts. Subjects taught in this faculty cover, next to Gender Studies, Archeology, History, History of Art, Literature, Linguistics, Musicology, and Philosophy. 

Courses at Master’s level

Yes. 

Language of instruction

English, Finnish and Swedish

Housing assistance
Estimated living costs per month

All students have to pay for their accommodation and living expenses, as well as their books and other study materials. The total monthly living expenses of a single student average from 700 to 1000 euro - depending on your spending habits.

More information can be found here and here.

Credits

Normal study load per semester: 30 ECTS 

Number of places available

History: 2 places per year

Art History: 2 places per year

Journalism: 1 place per year
Gender studies: 1 place per year

 

 

Additional information

More information

More information about studying abroad: in Dutch and in English.

Do you have any questions about this partner university or about studying abroad? Contact the International Office of the Faculty of Humanities (details below).

You can also follow students who are currently abroad on Instagram!

Contact details

​Drift 10, 3512 BS Utrecht

+31 (0)30 253 6046

internationaloffice.hum@uu.nl

Walk-in office hours

  • Monday and Thursday from 11.00h to 12.00h

By appointment

You can make an appointment with one of the exchange coordinators by filling out this web form.

Handing in and picking up documents

Monday to Friday from 11.00 to 15.00 at the Student Desk, Drift 10.

Staff

Gerdien Ramaker-Zijlstra (Exchange Coordinator for Southern and Eastern Europe, Asia, Central and South America)
Monique Hanrath (Exchange Coordinator for Western and Northern Europe, Africa, Oceania and North America)
Nelline Bogerd (Support Officer)
Sanne Boomsma (Head)