Any kind of sexual misconduct is not tolerated at University College Utrecht. This page explains the various forms of inappropriate sexual behaviour, and what you can do in case of sexual misconduct. 

Inappropriate (Sexual) Behaviour and Misconduct

University College Utrecht’s introduction programme for all new students includes workshops in sexual consent. The College also requires its students to observe the Social Honor Code, included in the Campus Rules and Regulations, with specific references to interpersonal conduct.

Furthermore, Utrecht University’s Code of Conduct safeguards all students and employees against inappropriate behaviours. 

Misconduct may include:

  • Sexual intimidation: unwanted sexual advances (e.g. requests for sexual favours or other verbal, non-verbal or physical behaviour). An example is the unsolicited sending of pornographic images or texts or the deliberate viewing of such images in a manner that is visible to others;
  • Aggression and violence: bullying (both psychological and physical), other threats and attacks;
  • Discrimination: making pronouncements, taking action against or decisions about individuals that are offensive or disadvantage individuals because of their race, religion, gender, ideology and/or sexuality or discriminate in any way on the basis of these factors.

Actions you can take in cases of inappropriate sexual conduct

To stop the unwanted behavior, it is important that it is labeled as such and communicated to others. In the first place communication can be aimed at the person that has shown the undesirable behavior. Together you can try to come to an acceptable solution of the problem at hand. It is, however, possible that this does not help or that there are obstacles to talk about this with the one showing the undesirable behavior.

In this case you can contact the University’s Confidential Counsellor, Jeanette van Rees, specifically assigned for handling these kinds of cases:
Phone: +31 (0)30 253 2791.
A male Confidential Counsellor is also available to speak to in cases of inappropriate conduct. 

One of the key roles of the Confidential Counsellor is support and supervision. The Confidential Counsellor can also mediate between the parties involved in the complaint. If this fails to reach a solution, a decision can be made jointly to submit a complaint to the complaints committee. The committee will instigate an enquiry and make recommendations to the Executive Board on appropriate measures to be taken.

Student Life Officer Mark Baldwin is also available to consult for contact for all non-academic concerns, including sexual misconduct, and can guide you towards the most appropriate sources of further help if needed. Email:

Head Tutor, Annemieke Meijer, can also be contacted for cases such as these. Email:

Anybody wishing to make a formal complaint after speaking with one of the designated contact people above, can do so with the Committee for Inappropriate Behaviour.

This animation attempts to explain the concept of sexual consent in an easy-to-understand metaphor.
This animation attempts the same.

Sexual Assault and Rape

Any student who suspects they (or another person) may have been a victim of a sexual crime may contact the police directly and without delay, to report an incident, express concerns, or for a forensic examination if required.

Support is available to students who wish to approach the police but find it difficult. Jeanette van Rees (Head of UU’s student counselling service) is the university’s dedicated supporter for those who have experienced any kind of sexual assault.

Mark Baldwin (Student Life Officer), Annemieke Meijer (Head Tutor), and Maarten Diederix (Housemaster) are also available starting points to report your concerns.

If you are unsure whether or not you have been coerced, verbally or physically, into unwanted sexually oriented situations and would like to discuss this, you can, of course, use the same resources as a starting point.

Students who report incidents to the police are also asked to make University College Utrecht authorities aware of this, so the most appropriate forms of support can be arranged.

The Sexual Assault Centre is available 24-hours per day to anybody (in both Dutch and English) who has experiences sexual violence. 

This page (in Dutch) summarises how the police can help anybody who has been sexually assaulted.