Medical costs in the Netherlands can be very high. To give you an example: one day in hospital can cost up to €1300, not including the cost of treatment. Therefore, Dutch law requires that everyone living in the Netherlands has adequate health insurance. This is especially relevant for non-EU/EEA students, as they must provide proof they have adequate health insurance to obtain their residence permit/entry visa.

If you are insured via social security or welfare in your own country, check whether there is a reciprocal agreement between your country and the Netherlands with regard to health insurance. Make sure that your health insurance covers the Dutch tariffs.

In the Netherlands, make sure you always carry proof of health insurance with you. You will need it whenever you use health services in the Netherlands.

Information for EU/EEA-students

The University of Utrecht advises EU/EEA-students to apply for a European Health Insurance Card. Please note, with an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) you will be reimbursed for treatments from the basic Dutch Health Insurance Act and the Long-Term Care Act package during your stay in the Netherlands. You may need additional insurance, for instance repatriation is not covered.

Information for non-EU/EEA students

If you are not an EU/EEA-national, the University of Utrecht recommends the following Dutch student insurance package, as the coverage meets all legal requirements in the Netherlands: AON: ICS complete.

This insurance package covers not only medical expenses, but also extraordinary costs, legal aid, accidents, mental health, liability and baggage cover and household goods. The premium is approximately €39 per month.

If you prefer to keep your current private health insurance, make sure it covers your entire stay in the Netherlands and if so, if it covers the Dutch tariffs. You can compare with the Dutch student insurance packages mentioned above to see if the coverage is sufficient. Note that some insurance companies only extend foreign coverage for a few months.

If your current insurance is not equal to the Dutch student insurance packages mentioned above, your insurance will be insufficient and will not be accepted for your residence permit/entry visa.

Do you have a (part time) job?

If you have a (part time) job you are required to take out a Dutch ‘basisverzekering’ (basic health insurance package). If you do not have this, you risk being fined, and will have to pay the insurance premium retroactively.  

More information

For more information about health insurance (and other types of insurance), please visit Utrecht University’s web pages here.

For more information about the ‘basisverzekering’ and its regulations, visit the Nuffic website.