Graduation requirements and study support

The special characteristics of UCU’s educational format require very active participation in small-scale, multi-directional class discussions; group work; presentations; essays and assignments; high volumes of reading; exams; occasional fieldwork (depending on the course); special projects; theses; and other forms of learning and assessment. These are the features which contribute towards UCU’s remarkable atmosphere of scholarly commitment, and are graduation requirements for all students. 

If you live with a disability, chronic illness, serious health concerns, or require significantly different conditions in order to learn, you may request certain provisions to help you to study effectively. Utrecht University can offer students with special circumstances a range of support and accommodations for making their studies manageable. Contact the Student Life Officer (Mark Baldwin, for more information.

Learning Accommodation Agreements

Special provisions in themselves may not be assumed as automatic entitlements, though any students who may require them at UCU are asked first to discuss their needs with their Personal Tutor or the Student Life Officer. Depending on the circumstances, a unique ‘Learning Accommodation Agreement’ can then be made, based upon the university’s brochure, which formalizes the provisions for each student who needs them.

In meeting the needs of UCU students it is sometimes necessary to customise some of the university’s standard provisions to take into account some of the unique features of this residential campus, curriculum and educational ethos, so that appropriate Learning Accommodation Agreements can be made.

UCU students follow a rigorous study program in which learning and intellectual growth take multiple forms, and where full engagement ensures not only breadth but also depth in learning. Naturally, students must meet all graduation requirements before a diploma can be awarded, and so Learning Accommodation Agreements strive not to exempt students from any parts of the learning format, but rather include them in it fully. In this light there are, of course, limitations to the kind of flexibility that is possible to offer, and it might differ from that which you may have received previously at high school or at another university.

To have a Learning Accommodation Agreement in place in time for special arrangements to be made (for example, extra time for completing exams), it is important to discuss your needs with your Tutor or the Student Life Officer as early as possible (preferably within the first two weeks of the semester). Late requests might mean there is insufficient time for any special needs to be catered for in that semester.