University College Utrecht is a unique community of students living and studying together. The Student Life Office works in partnership to ensure that students have a rewarding, productive, healthy and fruitful time at the College.
The Student Life Office is a point of contact for all students to discuss any personal matter. The topics can cover issues such as health, workload, finances, new campus initiatives, planning, family circumstances, effective decision making, or simply putting things into perspective and making it through the next semester. All meetings are confidential (unless disclosure is agreed with the student), and there is no topic off limits.
Students can sit in comfortable surroundings with a counsellor, first and foremost to be heard, understood and respected. Through talking and guidance, the majority of struggles and difficulties can be addressed within a few meetings. No topic is off limits.
Aside from sitting conversations, other forms of counselling available include:
- Counselling with Expression: UCU arts studio and music room are the venue for one-to-one appointments where students can use ‘knutselen’, craft or drawing, or sounds in a kind of alternative conversation about how they experience certain moments or issues in life.
- Kinetic Counselling: the dance/drama studio is used for one-to-one appointments where students can move and use focus pads as other means to communicate, for example with matters of anger, frustration, freedom.
- Silent Counselling: usually in the meditation room, but also in an office, in which we will either sit or stand, or even balance against each other, as a way for unspoken communication to happen.
- Al Fresco / Open Air Counselling: basically connecting and talking while walking in the neighbourhood, or around the campus.
Starting confidentiality is assured within the closed confines of the team. If it transpires that a key level of risk to the safety of one or more individuals is perceived, it may be necessary to disclose to third parties (e.g. specialist psychologist, doctor) – this will be made known to the student before disclosure happens.
The Student Life Office works closely together with other support providers at University College Utrecht, Utrecht University and in the city of Utrecht. Some examples of these networks are:
- Consultation with a psychologist
- Support with special needs or learning disorders
- Tutors at University College Utrecht
The Student Life Office is lead by Student Life Officer Mark Baldwin, who has a wide range of experience, professional training and qualifications as counsellor, mentor, coach and guide. Find out more about Mark’s professional background on his profile page.
The Student Life Office team also includes a number of tutors who have special interest and expertise in counselling and guidance. The Student Life Office team also includes a number of tutors who have special interest and expertise in counselling and guidance. This means that, collectively, the Office comprises both male and female counsellors, from the Netherlands and abroad, whose special experience covers a huge array of issues relating to young adult life.
For making an appointment, please contact Mark Baldwin, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or drop by spontaneously.
The Student Life Office is located in College Hall, room 112.
Best times to visit are:
Mondays 13:00 - 15:00
Tuesdays 11:00 - 13:00
Wednesdays 13:00 - 15:00
Thursdays 13:00 - 15:00