The tutor can help you plan your courses in the programme and monitor your study progress. Especially in the first year, the tutor is available for questions regarding:

  • the contents and level of the Master’s programme
  • study progress (results, difficulties, changes)
  • the options you have and choices you have to make within the Master’s programme
  • exam requirements and curriculum planning

The tutor will invite you twice (October and February) to discuss your study programme and study progress. On request the tutor can help you find the way to the student advisor, student counsellor, etc.

Within the SEC programme, drs. Liesbeth de Bakkerdr. ir. Astrid Bulte, dr. Michiel Doorman, dr. Henri Matimbadr. Gjalt Prinsdr. Elwin Savelsbergh, dr. Roald Verhoeff, and dr. Ralph Meulenbroeks are tutors. You can find your tutor in Osiris

The student advisors of the Graduate School of Teaching are Alice Bor and Corneline van Staalduinen. They can help you with questions about admission and enrolment, exam requirements, complex curriculum planning, exemptions, attending courses at other universities, studying with a handicap or disability, ending your studies and termination of enrolment.

You can also contact them if you have study-related problems, such as lack of motivation, study delay, illness, a conflict with a lecturer or other employee of Utrecht University, or other circumstances that could impede the progress of your studies.


  • Walk-in-hours for short questions (ten minutes): Mondays from 2:00 to 4:00 PM, Sjoerd Groenman building, room A0.04, Padualaan 14.
  • Appointment for short questions (ten minutes): Tuesdays from 10:00 to 11:00 AM, room A0.08, Sjoerd Groenman building, Padualaan 14. Book your appointment online.
  • Telephone hours: +31(0)30 253 7230, Wednesdays from 2:00 to 4:00 PM.
  • Individual appointment for 30 minutes: make an appointment via the Student Information Point (STIP). 
  • Email:

If you have a disability or chronic illness, Utrecht University will support you as much as possible to ensure that you complete your degree programme successfully. Disabilities include:

  • visual, auditory, or motor impairments;
  • dyslexia;
  • chronic and psychological disorders (e.g. depression, an autistic spectrum disorder, ADD or ADHD, Crohn’s disease, diabetes, asthma, rheumatism, or ME / CFS, RSI / CANS, etc.).

Apply via Osiris Cases

If you want to discuss your situation and explore if you are eligible for extra support, you can indicate this via Osiris Cases. Osiris Cases is a separate file within Osiris student, the digital registration system of the UU. Log in via using your solis-id. After you have opened your case in Osiris, one of the student advisors will contact you to arrange a meeting.

What kind of support does the university offer?

The support which Utrecht University offers consists of a variety of provisions which are laid down in a special provisions contract. Further information can be found in the brochure entitled: Studying at Utrecht University with a disability (pdf).

The Degree Programme Advisory Committee provides the Board of Studies with both solicited and unsolicited advice regarding the Master's programmes and minor programmes. The Degree Programme Advisory Committee advises with regard to quality, organisation and policy.

The focus is mainly on the annual update of the Education and Examination Regulations (OER) and course assessments. All GST courses are evaluated by a group of lecturers and students based on surveys that are distributed to all participants. The results of those evaluations are public and will be used during the development of a future version of the course.

On the Committee, a total of fourteen lecturers and students represent the various degree programmes within GST (the one- and two-year alpha/beta/gamma Master's and the Minor in Education).

The student members can be reached by mail:


The lecturers who are currently members of the Degree Programme Advisory Committee are:

  • Erwin Mantingh (alfa, chair)
  • Janneke Corvers (alfa)
  • Liesbeth de Bakker (beta)
  • Marjolein Vollebregt (beta)
  • Bjorn Wansink (gamma)
  • Tim Favier (gamma)
  • Niels Nannes (gamma)

The student members for 2018-2019 are:

  • Jolanda Rozendaal (alfa)
  • Olivier Sitvast (alfa)
  • Ilse Koffijberg (beta)
  • Koen van Asseldonk (beta)
  • Maril de Man (gamma)
  • Raisa van der Knaap (gamma)
  • Jessie Lensing (minor in education)

Marijn Smeets (FSW Education and Student Affairs) supports the Degree Programme Advisory Committee as Official Secretary.

Questions not related to your study programme

In some cases you may want to consult someone who is not related to your specific study programme. For example, if you fall behind due to extenuating circumstances or mental health issues, and it is not possible to correct this through an adjustment in your programme. If this is the case, you may use the contacts mentioned below.

We have put together some study tips and useful links and offer a number of workshops which can help you to improve your study skills.

Student services provides information about studying and student life, such as information about admissions, registration, tuition fees, student finance, administrative grants, career orientation, student organisations and studying abroad.

Student psychologists can help you to solve study-related problems and to address personal problems. Read more information here and book an appointment.

Student Counsellors provide advice and support to students who have suffered a serious study delay or are threatening to fall behind. Possible reasons could be a disability or chronic illness, membership of a board of a student organisation or participation in sports at an international level.

The Study Advisor or your Tutor can refer you to a Student Counsellor if you wish to terminate your enrolment due to illness or exceptional family circumstances, if you face financial problems or if you wish to make use of the university schemes offering financial support.

To schedule an appointment, contact Student Services.

Skills Lab - the gateway to your academic development- is an accessible service desk where UU students can get a clear idea of what courses, workshops, individual tutoring, electronic tools, etc. are available to them. Much is available, but this wealth or resources can be hard to find and access for students with specific questions. We can show students where to go to improve any skill, be it writing, presentation, studying, or job-hunting.

You can visit the Career Officer to discuss your options in the labour market. The Career Officer is fully informed about the labour market for university graduates and can also help you decide which career to choose. The Career Officer can also provide a career training and check your application letter and CV. Read more on Career Services.

If you are having second thoughts about the programme you have chosen or if you are trying to decide what Master’s programme to choose, you can contact the Academic Support Advisor Ms. Jacky Limvers (

More information about Study choice.

Studying without Limitations is a platform for and by students with a disability. Besides involvement in policy decisions and providing information they also offer guidance for students with a disability such as dyslexia, AD(H)D, autism and so on. Do you want more information, or would you like to have a buddy for extra support or guidance regarding your study or themes outside your study such as in living, working and going out? Then perhaps our buddy programme is something for you.

More information.


The university’s has a Code of Conduct  designed to prevent misconduct. In case of misconduct, you can contact the Confidential Counsellor.

One of the key roles of the Confidential Counsellor is support and supervision. The Confidential Counsellor can also mediate between the parties involved in the complaint. If this fails to reach a solution, a decision can be made jointly to submit a complaint to the complaints committee. The committee will instigate an enquiry and make recommendations to the Executive Board on appropriate measures to be taken.