SSH is the largest student housing foundation in Utrecht. Next to SSH Short Stay, SSH also offers Regular Accommodation to Dutch and Internationals between the ages 16 and 27. SSH regular accommodation offers unfurnished accommodation to the person with the longest registration time.
Based on the date of your registration, you are assigned an SSH-registration number. The longer you are registered, the higher the chances of finding a room via SSH regular accommodation. It is possible to register prior to your admission. It is even possible to register years ahead of your admission, as long as you have the eligible age.
The waiting time for SSH regular accommodation ranges from three months to over 18 months, depending on the time of the year and the location. For more information please watch this informative video by SSH. Note that if you currently live in SSH Short Stay accommodation, you can request that your SSH Regular Accommodation registration date is pushed back to your first day of renting via SSH. You can send this request to email@example.com with your registration details.
Does it pay off to register?
If you are a degree seeking student or PhD-candidate planning to stay in Utrecht for a year or more, it is probably wise to register with SSH Regular Accommodation.
During the start of a semester, the demand for housing is very high, and even if you register with SSH upfront, it is not very likely that you will find accommodation this way on time for the start of the semester. However, some of SSH' residences require a shorter waiting time, and sometimes they have temporary projects that are more quickly available (such as temporary unfurnished rooms).
How to register
- Follow this link to the SSH website and select "Register for Regular Accommodations"
- Fill out the webform. It is possible to register prior to your admission process, simply register your prefered study programme
- Confirm your registration by paying the 12,50€ registration fee. You will be assigned a registration number that ranks your place on the waiting list
- When you have completed your admission with Utrecht University, you can request a proof of enrolment at the Student Services via StudentServices@uu.nl
- Upload your proof of enrolment in your SSH account. Once you uploaded your documentation you can qualify for a housing offer. For more information on the required documentation follow this link to the SSH Website
Attending a viewing, or ‘hospiteren’
When you respond to a room, the top ten candidates with the longest registration time are invited to a viewing. This viewing is usually in group form, followed by a vote of the current tenants. This is called ‘hospiteren’. For more information please read our list of important things to keep in mind and watch this informative video by SSH.
Combined registration Woningnet
If you intend to stay in the Netherlands even more permanently, you can register with the regional social housing service Woningnet. SSH offers a combined registration for student housing and Woningnet. Waiting time for housing on Woningnet is usually several years.