Housing budget

When calculating your housing budget there are several costs and fees you should take in account. Below you can find an overview of the approximate costs of reserved accommodation, and the average costs of housing in the private market. 

Average costs reserved accommodation

Average monthly rent
  • Furnished private room, shared facilities: €400 - €550
  • Furnished studio, private facilities: €600 - €750
Additional costs and fees
  • Registration fee: €0 - €50
  • Booking/contract/administration costs: €77,50 - €175
  • Down payment / deposit: €600 - €1000
  • End-cleaning fee: variable
  • Municipal taxes: €350 - €400 / year

For the reserved accommodation specific requirements need to be met and availability is limited. Especially the more affordable options book up very quick. Being able to afford the costs therefore does not guarantee that you can make a reservation.

Average costs housing in the private market

Average monthly rent
  • Room with shared facilities: €400 - €700
  • Studio with private facilities: €700 - €1200
  • Apartment (e.g. for a couple): €1000 - €1500
Additional costs and fees
  • (Monthly) registration fee platform or agency: Variable
  • Booking, administration or contract fee: €100 – €200
  • Agency / search assignment fee: Up to a month's rent
  • Down payment / deposit: 1 to 2 months rent
  • Flooring, curtains, a bed and other furniture (usually arranged by tenant)
  • Municipal taxes: €350 - €400 / year

Private landlords often impose additional requirements such as proof of income or a rent guarantor. Note that more affordable options are very popular and therefore scarce. In addition, there are usually a number of candidates for each room, studio or apartment and ads are not always up to date. Because of this you should take in account that being able to afford the costs does not guarantee that you can reserve the accommodation.