9 steps to get connected
Your Solis-id is your username for most university services. You also use it to log on to university computers and the Utrecht University WiFi network. It is the same as the 7-digit student number you have received after your enrolment application in Studielink. You can find this in your messages in Studielink.
As a new student, you will receive your Solis-id via e-mail. In that same e-mail, you will find a link to the password portal where you are able to create your password.
- Forgot, change or create your password: Use the password portal
- Read the tips for a strong password and password management tools
More information can be found on the Solis-id page.
Every student has a Solis-mail address. This address has been sent to your private email address (during your registration).
At the university, you can make use of the Wi-Fi network called 'Utrecht University'. Connect by using your credentials;
- Username: your UU email address (e.g. email@example.com). Does this not work? Try firstname.lastname@example.org instead.
- Password: your Solis password
Looking for instructions about how to configure Wi-Fi on your device? Visit the manuals webpage.
Please note that Windows 7 or older devices can not connect to Eduroam due to safety reasons.
- Access your personal files on your U drive from another location (off-campus): see the page about your personal storage for instructions.
- Use Microsoft Teams (Office 365) to collaborate (chat, meetings, share files)
- Use the software for your studies (using whatever device you want) with MyWorkplace.
Use Osiris to register for courses, see your marks and enter a change of address.
- In the MyUU app for students you will find your grades from Osiris, your student card and your personal timetable. Download the app from the app stores of Android and Apple.
- MyTimetable is the timetable website of Utrecht University and provides a better view on your long term schedule. It also provides a feed url to import your schedule into your own calendar. More information can be found on the MyTimetable page.
- Blackboard : this is the digital learning environment of Utrecht University. You can log in using your Solis-id and Solis password.
- Lecturenet: Missed a lecture? Or maybe you'd just like to see that particular lecture again? Here you can find a growing collection of recorded lectures that you can access from your computer.
- Weblectures (Science Faculty-Dutch): additional Science Faculty initiatives on recorded lectures (mainly Biology)
In the Buys Ballot building, the Koningsberger building and the David de Wied building you find study areas with PCs that can be used by students. In addition, we provide secluded group locations in the Koningsberger building where you can work together on assignments. The PC capacity is not unlimited. However, we provide fast campus Wi-Fi capacity (network id: Utrecht University) for your personal devices. Studyspot on http://studyspot.uu.nl/ provides live insight in the availability of UU student-pc's in the study areas.
The Science faculty provides for a set of education specific as well as general software like the Office 365 suite. Almost all software can be used free of charge. All other software must be purchased at personal account. Your Solis-ID provides access to Surfspot, a web shop which provides software at student-rates.
The U drive is your personal network storage where you have 1 GB available for your files. You can access your U drive via one of the university computers or via MyWorkplace. See the manuals website for how to access MyWorkplace. In this way you always have access to your files.
All employees and students can use OneDrive (Office 365) free of charge. You have 1 TB of storage.
Using SURFfilesender you can send files to anyone you wish, including people outside Utrecht University and organisations without a SURF licence. If someone wants to send you files, you, as a SURFfilesender user, can send them a 'voucher'.
You can apply for a voucher to compensate for printing costs that you made by working for a research group or department. This can be used to replenish your personal account.
Application forms can be obtained from the Science Servicedesk. The form has to be signed by your supervisor. The Science Servicedesk will also provide the voucher (see: support info for more information on the Science Servicedesk).
All student PC's of the Science, Geo and Social Sciences Faculties contain both a Windows and a Linux distribution (incl software). At restart you can choose your Operating System.
More info on faculty Linux services.
IT support info
- At the Science Servicedesk we will help you with any question or problem, especially questions you have about IT-facilities from the University or the Science Faculty. You can also borrow chargers and cables from us. The Science Servicedesk is located on the second floor of Buys Ballot building and on the second floor of the David de Wied building.
- The ICT Bèta wiki website contains Science faculty manuals and other documentation on software and services.
- On the UU-support page you can find guides and supporting information on most of the IT-facilities that the university provides, also you can find contact information on the service desks of ITS.