Stay abroad

It is possible to stay abroad for a period or a semester (not required). We have exchange agreements with the HPS programme of the Ruhr Universität in Bochum, and we have good contacts at the University of Copenhagen.

In the past few years, students have also gone to, for example:

  • Max-Planck-Institut für Wissenschaftsgeschichte, Berlin
  • London School of Economics
  • Università degli studi di Bologna
  • University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
  • University of Kyoto
  • Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

There are several ways to organise a stay abroad. The ERASMUS+ programme is the most common: see the information below. For alternatives, please ask the HPS staff or senior students.

Want to expand your horizons and add extra challenge to your studies? Then follow part of your study programme abroad! On this page you will find information on studying abroad that applies to your study programme. Via the button below you can read all important general information, such as various options, destinations and the application deadline.

General information about Studying Abroad

Go abroad to follow courses or for a research project or internship

If you want to go abroad to follow courses we call this ‘stay’. A bilateral agreement is needed between the university of your choice and Utrecht University or the Science faculty. If you want to do a research project or internship it is called ‘traineeship'.  For a traineeship a bilateral agreement is not necessary. Please note that the application procedures for stay and traineeship are different.