Within all Master's programmes one or more research projects are mandatory. Please see ‘Study programme’ for general information on such projects in your curriculum. In many cases, a research project may be carried out outside of the university, in the form of an internship at a company, research institute, or another university. This can be in the Netherlands as well as abroad (see also: ‘stay abroad’).
Steps within the master's thesis project
We recommend to start preparations for your thesis project in the education period before you actually start, i.e. 2 months ahead.
- Contact programme coordinator Marjan van den Akker to discuss the starting conditions the availability of supervisors in your area of interest.
- Apply for approval of your research project by submitting a request via OSIRIS Student. Please select ‘My Cases’, ‘Start Case’ and then ‘Research Project GSNS’. Important: in order to apply completely and correctly, you must have discussed the project setup with your intended project supervisor beforehand! We advise you to study the request form previous to discussing it with your supervisor, or fill it out together, to make sure you obtain all of the information required. The request form has to be completed two weeks before that starting date of your project.
- After submitting your request, it will be forwarded to your master’s programme coordinator, the board of examiners and student affairs for checks and approvals. After approval of your project it will be automatically registered in Osiris. If something needs to be amended, you will be notified by email.
- Please DO NOT register yourself in Osiris for the relevant research project courses. You will be automatically registered upon approval of the Research Application Form.
- Please note that this protocol (English version) applies when a project is delayed.
- In case of a project or internship outside of Utrecht University, please make sure you fill out the Work Placement Agreement in Osiris Student/My Cases. This agreement will be available for filling out in Osiris Student/My Cases after you have submitted your initial request for research project approval.
- Your project is split into two parts, your project supervisor will fill out the assessment form part 1 at the end of the first part of your project. At the end of your project your supervisor will fill out the assessment form part 2. This is done within Osiris and your grade will automatically be registered Osiris. If you started your thesis before 17 October 2019, the assessment is done outside Osiris (see Academic policies and procedures).
List of available supervisors
To help you find a thesis supervisor, in this file you find a list of available supervisors for COSC master theses. The list will be updated on a monthly basis.