Did you know that if you have a disability or chronic illness, you can request additional support to enable you to study more effectively? There are different schemes, regulations and guidance for this purpose, such as extra time for exams or the use of special software for example. You may get additional support if you suffer from:

  • dyslexia
  • a chronic illness and/or psychological condition (autistic spectrum disorder, AD(H)D, depression, Crohn's disease, diabetes, asthma, rheumatism, ME/CFS, RSI/CANS, etc.)
  • visual, auditory and motor impairments

Utrecht University wants every student to feel welcome and to get the help they need to get the most out of themselves and their degree programme.


Please contact your Study Advisor well before you start your degree programme to discuss your situation and determine the support options available to you during your studies. These may differ from the services you had at a previous university or school. Agreements regarding these special services will be laid down in a contract. It is important to seek contact as soon as possible, to ensure that there is enough time to make the necessary arrangements. You may have to request support again when starting your Master's degree programme. You can check this with the Study Advisor of your Master's programme.


You can contact the Study Advisor for your degree programme via your Faculty Student Desk. Please note that the counselling system at University College Utrecht is different: it has a dedicated Disability Services Coordinator, who you can contact in regards to studying with a disability

More information

  • Utrecht University has a Platform 'Onbeperkt Studeren ('Unhindered Studying') that helps students with disabilities. The platform consists of students with disabilities, who can offer insight and support and run a buddy programme.
  • Read more about the financial provisions for studying with a disability.


The UU is working on improving the accessibility of our buildings. Sometimes this involves major renovations, for which a contractor or architect is required, but sometimes it also involves small(er) issues that we could do something about in the short term (e.g. key cabinets/pigeon holes that are too high, thresholds that are too high, etc.). As a student you can report these small(er) issues yourself, via the Facility Service Centre (FSC).

In addition, the UU tries to inform students as much as possible about the accessibility of the university buildings by offering detailed accessibility information via the web pages of the buildings.