Can’t get enough of research? And are you an advanced Humanities student (BA or MA) who is considering to pursue a career in academics? Then come to our event!
This event is aimed at advanced Humanities students (BA and/or MA) who are considering to pursue a career in academics, and are interested to find out more about (the path to) PhD-positions and the career perspectives that follow afterwards. What does it take to become successful and what steps can you take during your studies and immediately after graduation? Speakers are dr. Joel Anderson, Anna-Luna Post MA, Dick Timmer MA, Niels Terpstra MA, Rozanne Versendaal MA and Hanneke Jansen MA (research policy officer ICON).
- When: 17 May 17.15-19.00
- Where: Drift 21, room 1.05
- Sign up here.
- 17.15 – 17.20: Welcome and introduction
- 17.25 – 17.40: The Dutch research landscape (Hanneke Jansen)
- General infrastructure of research in the Netherlands
- Funding your PhD: what possibilities are there?
- 17.40 – 18.20: PhD panel (Anna-Luna Post, Dick Timmer, Niels Terpstra, Rozanne Versendaal)
- Introduction of people and their research
- How did you obtain a PhD position?
- Examples of their academic CVs
- Successes and challenges
- Future plans
- Questions from the audience
- 18.20 - 18.40: PhD life (postdoc)
- Career opportunities after finishing a PhD
- 18.40 – 19.00: The other side (dr. Joel Anderson)
- What do project leaders expect from PhD applicants?
- How to write a good research proposal
- What can you do during your studies?
- To PhD or not to PhD?
On June 7th we will host a similar event on careers as in journalism (Your Perspective: Journalism).