The university announces an Honours Teacher of the Year at the Opening of the UU Honours year on 14 October 2019. Candidates are nominated by honours students within the faculties or programmes. Working with highly talented students requires extremely talented and inspiring teachers. This award acknowledges and celebrates the achievements of the Honours teachers at Utrecht University. The deadline for nominations is 5 September.
Honours teachers play a fundamental role within their faculties and within our university. They help to identify, coach and support the most motivated students in our academic community. Working with highly talented students requires extremely talented and inspiring teachers. It is time that those individuals were acknowledged and thanked.
Do you know a teacher who is passionate about honours education? A teacher that provides you with a safe and supportive environment to push yourself beyond the limits of your own academic expectations? Then nominate this honours teacher!
Candidates are nominated by honours student groups within the faculties or programmes. A committee consisting of the UU Honours Dean, two Honours Directors and two Honours students from the UU Honours Student Council will select the winner. During the official opening of the Honours Academic Year in October of each new academic year, the price will be awarded. The winner will receive a price of € 500,- to spend on honours educational innovation at Utrecht University.
The UU Honours Teacher of the Year 2019:
- is passionate about honours education
- provides students with a safe and supportive environment for them to push themselves beyond the limits of their own academic expectations
- helps raise student confidence
- is not a 'sage on the stage' but rather 'a coach on the side'
- is able to create new learning experiences for students
- has an open mind for new educational ideas and possibilities
- is open to students crafting their own honours learning experience
- listens and learns from her/his honours students
- has not been nominated before and is not a member of the selection committee
In case your nominee is shortlisted as one of the final candidates, students will receive an invitation to present a short pitch (3 minutes) in front of the selection committee on 9 September 2019. This can be done by any of the affiliated students. If you do not hear from us by 30 August 2019 your nominated teacher has unfortunately not been selected as further contender.
Last year dr. Adri Thomas won the prize of Honours Teacher of the Year 2018.