The university announces a Honours Teacher of the Year at the Opening of the UU Honours year on 15 October 2018. Candidates are nominated by honours students within the faculties or programmes. Working with highly talented students requires extremely talented and inspiring teachers. This award acknowledges and celebrates the achievements of the Honours teachers at Utrecht University. The deadline for nominations is 20 August.
Honours teachers play a fundamental role within their faculties and within our university. They help to identify, coach and support the most motivated students in our academic community. Working with highly talented students requires extremely talented and inspiring teachers. It is time that those individuals were acknowledged and thanked.
Do you know a teacher who is passionate about honours education? A teacher that provides you with a safe and supportive environment to push yourself beyond the limits of your own academic expectations? Then nominate this honours teacher! send an email to email@example.com before 20 August.
Candidates are nominated by honours student groups within the faculties or programmes. A group of independent honours experts (both honours teachers and both former and current honours students), chaired by the UU Honours Dean, will draw up a short list of three candidates and will select an Honours Teacher of the Year.
The UU Honours Teacher of the Year 2018:
- is passionate about honours education
- provides students with a safe and supportive environment for them to push themselves beyond the limits of their own academic expectations
- helps raise student confidence
- is not a 'sage on the stage' but rather 'a coach on the side'
- is able to create new learning experiences for students
- has an open mind for new educational ideas and possibilities
- is open to students crafting their own honours learning experience
- listens and learns from her/his honours students
- 20 August – Maximum two candidates per department/college are nominated by the honours students. Send your nomination (max. 2 pages) to: firstname.lastname@example.org put 'UU Honours Teacher of the Year 2018' in the subject line
- 3 September – The selection committee chaired by the Honours Dean meets to review submissions and draws up shortlist of three candidates
- 10 September the three candidates are informed and are asked to attend the Opening of the Honours Year in October
- 20 September – Three groups of honours students come to pitch in favour of their own candidates (and answer questions) in front of the committee
- 25 September - Decision committee
- 15 October - Announcement of 2018 Honours Teacher of the Year during Opening Honours (& presentation of prize)