The nominees of the Teacher Talent Award 2016-2017 are: Ingmar Swart, Rutger Hermsen and Nienke Kuijpers as Teacher Talent and Alexei Karas, Arwen Deuss and Stefan Soeparman as Outstanding Teacher.
This year, a total of 25 lectures had been nominated by various UU Student Associations, 8 of which in the category of Teacher Talent and 17 in the Outstanding Teacher Award category. Of these, the jury came to a shortlist of 3 nominees in each category.
Teacher Talent Award:
- Ingmar Swart (Chemistry, nominated by Proton)
- Rutger Hermsen (Biology, nominated by Utrechtse Biologen Vereniging)
- Nienke Kuijpers (Veterinary Medicine, nominated by DSK)
Outstanding Teacher Award :
- Alexei Karas (University College Roosevelt, nominated by the Academic Affairs Council)
- Arwen Deuss (Earth Sciences, nominated by the Utrechtse Aardwetenschappen Vereniging)
- Stefan Soeparman (Sociology, nominated by Usocia)
A judging committee consisting of Utrecht University teachers and students will select the winners, who will be announced at the Education Fair on March 16th. The official awards ceremony will take place during the celebration of the University’s Dies Natalis on March 27th.
Since the nineties, Utrecht University commends teachers that perform, excite, motivate, and challenge outstandingly with the Outstanding Teacher Award and the Teacher Talent Award. Study associations of Utrecht University can hand in proposals for teachers every year.
A judging committee consisting of exemplary teachers and students of Utrecht University will select three nominations for the Outstanding Teacher Award and three nominations for the Teacher Talent Award. Criteria are for example the educational vision of the teacher, creating interaction with students and the learning experience of students.