Coordinator: Dr. Elena Fumagalli
The Research Master in Multidisciplinary Economics is a two-year programme (120 EC). Students will obtain a Master of Science (MSc) degree in Multidisciplinary Economics.
The first year of the Research Master in Multidisciplinary Economics consists of 60 EC, of which all the courses are mandatory (see table below).
All first year students will be enrolled for these mandatory courses by the Student Information Desk Economics.
First Year (each course is 5 EC)
The programme of the second year of the Research Master consists of the skills course (Research Skills 3: Research Proposal and Presentation Skills, 5 EC), several electives (25 EC in total), and the master thesis (30 EC).
Research Skills 3: Research Proposal and Presentation Skills (5 EC)
Period 1, 2 and 3: Electives (25 EC)
Students can choose from a list of electives in the second year offered by U.S.E. in collaboration with the University of Groningen (RUG), as well as some courses in the master profile Complex Systems (CS) for a total of 25 EC. The following restrictions apply:
- At least 3 courses are either USE/RUG or USE/CS in the type below.
- At most 2 CS courses are 7.5 EC.
- Students can select at most 2 other courses for your electives after approval by the master coordinator; possibilities include an appropriate USE academic master course (at most one), an appropriate other research master course at UU, or an appropriate course at another university.
See the full overview of the available electives below
Periods (2), 3 and 4
|Advanced Industrial Organisation|
|Advanced Behavioural Economics|
|Advanced Labour Economics|
|Introduction to Complex Systems|
|Algorithms in Finance|
|Causal Inference in Empirical Economics|
|The Triumph of the City|
* Enrolment via University of Groningen
How to enrol?
- By the end of the first year, you will have a meeting with the research master coordinator in which the specialization of the second year is discussed.
- After this meeting, you can fill in the application form.
- The research master's coordinator has to sign this form for approval.
- You need to hand in the form at the Student Information Desk at least two weeks before the closing time of the regular enrolment period.
For more information about the courses, see the Course Catalogue. If you have any questions concerning the programme you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: if you intend to do electives in Groningen, you will have to follow this procedure.