Financial arrangement

Working whilst studying

  • Many students find a part-time job in a restaurant, bar or shop. This kind of job can be found via student and other employment agencies, advertisements, newspapers and noticeboards.

Important: if your earnings are above the additional income threshold, this may affect your claim to a student loan or grant. You will find more information on the DUO website: Additional earnings during your studies (in Dutch: Bijverdienen naast je studie).


The most important insurance policies you will need to take out are health insurance, household contents insurance and third-party liability insurance. You should always compare the policy conditions and premiums of several insurance companies before you take out an insurance policy. It is important to be properly insured, this is not something you should skimp on. You have the option of choosing a collective health insurance policy for students.

Health insurances

For student health insurances we have a collaboration with AON Student Insurances. This insurance provider has a lot of experience with international students and offers a Basic Health Insurance policy as well. Due to their experience with international students they offer the possibility to change back to your AON student insurance as soon as you are no longer required to have a basic health insurance quickly and will not hold you to a year term. Please note, if you take out Dutch basic health insurance, you may be eligible for compensation for your insurance premium. This compensation is called healthcare benefit or healthcare allowance (zorgtoeslag).

> more information on health insurance in the Netherlands

Working as an international student

International students can work in The Netherlands under certain conditions: