Are you having problems with or related to your studies? Do you need advice or counselling for personal problems? There are a number of counsellors within your study programme who can give educational guidance. See the page of your study programme for more specific information. Utrecht University has even more counsellors who can help you. See the overview below.

If you have questions concerning the choice and planning of your study, about the academic skills, about the rules and regulations of the study or you have other issues (be they private or not), you can contact a Study Advisor. 

The Study Advisors can guide and advise you on your study (choice) and setting up an academic plan. They can help you find your way through the countless amenities Utrecht University offers.

If you encounter a delay in your academic progress, through e.g. illness, special circumstances or family circumstances, you are to report this as soon as possible.


We can be reached by:

Phone: Monday and Tuesday 11:00 - 12:00.
+31 (0)30 253 4070. 

Walk-in hour: Wednesday and Thursday 09:30-10:30
Adam Smith Hall, room 0.20


Appointment: appointments can be booked online and will take place in the Adam Smith Hall, ground floor (take a seat at the green sofa) or via Microsoft Teams (install the app and login with your UU email address). 

Please check regularly your student email, Blackboard and Corona and Education for updates regarding your studies.

Contact Information Study Advisors

- Mr. Drs. Huub Klein Schiphorst
- Ms. Drs. Janneke Nolles

Adam Smith Hall 
Kriekenpitplein 21-22
3584 EC Utrecht


S: Study Advisors USE - Law, Economics and Governance - Students | Universiteit Utrecht (

The Bachelor of Economics and Business Economics and the Economics Master's programmes have the same Board of Examiners.

The Board of Examiners treats requests concerning the following subjects:

  • Special arrangements that are necessary due to illness
  • Latest course amenities
  • Exemptions
  • (Prolongation of) validity of exams
  • (Approval of) electives outside the programme
  • Incorporation of courses for the purpose of exchange programmes
  • Terms and declarations of graduation
  • Accreditation of Cum Laude
  • Graduation ceremonies

The Board of Examiners is bound by law to respond to requests within six weeks. Ordinarily requests are handled within two weeks and only written requests (preferably by email) will be taken into consideration.

Please make sure your request to the Board of Examiners bears your name and student number.

The Board of Examiners of Economics can be contacted by:

Until further notice: Due to the coronavirus the Board of Examiners can only be reached by email. Referring to the current COVID-19 situation the Board of Examiners will do their utmost best to prevent study delay. In this busy time we may not be able to answer all individual COVID related questions.


Members of the Board of Examiners

  • Joop Schippers (Chair)
  • Rob Bolder (Member)
  • Annette van den Berg (Chair test committee)
  • Riccardo Valboni (Member test committee)
  • Marlies van Beek (External member)
  • Marlies van der Scheer (Secretary)
  • Andrea Naylor (Support officer) and temporary Judith Verkleij-de Jong

If you have a disability or chronic illness, Utrecht University will support you as much as possible in order to ensure that you complete your degree programme successfully. Examples of a disability / chronic illness include:

  • visual, auditory or motor impairments;
  • dyslexia;
  • ADD / ADHD
  • an autistic spectrum disorder
  • chronic and psychological disorders (e.g. chronic depression, Crohn’s disease, diabetes, asthma, rheumatism etc.)

1. Apply via Osiris Student

You can submit a request for special facilities via OSIRIS Student (tab Cases > Application for special facilities). An example of a special facility is extra time when sitting exams.

After you have opened your case in Osiris, you will receive a confirmation and the possibility to arrange a meeting with one of the study advisors.

2. What kind of support does the university offer?

The study advisor can provide you with the exact details of the options available to you. These will be laid down in a contract.

If you are delayed in your studies as a consequence of circumstances beyond your control (e.g. disability), you may be eligible for financial support.

Studying without Limitations is a peer to peer group for students with a disability. The members of the Platform are experts by experience, and are happy to share their knowledge with you.

Further information can be found on the Studying with a disability page.

Questions not related to your study programme

In some cases you may want to consult someone who is not related to your specific study programme. For example, if you fall behind due to extenuating circumstances or mental health issues, and it is not possible to correct this through an adjustment in your programme. If this is the case, you may use the contacts mentioned below.

We have put together some study tips and useful links and offer a number of workshops which can help you to improve your study skills.

Student services provides information about studying and student life, such as information about admissions, registration, tuition fees, student finance, administrative grants, career orientation, student organisations and studying abroad.

Student psychologists can help you to solve study-related problems and to address personal problems. Read more information here and book an appointment.

Due to increased measures by the government, the UU’s Student Counsellors have decided to take responsibility with regards to the health of our students.

Therefore, the Executive Board of the UU have decided that all face-to-face meetings in the upcoming weeks are to be cancelled.

What does this mean for you?

All planned appointments will take place via telephone or a video chat service.

If you have an appointment planned with one of the Student Counsellors, we ask you not to come to the Bestuursgebouw. The counsellor will call you at the scheduled appointment time or will contact you via email to make other arrangements.

Most of our personnel will work form home, be aware that chances are high that you will be called by an anonymous telephone number.

Student Counsellors provide advice and support to students who have suffered a serious study delay or are threatening to fall behind. Possible reasons could be a disability or chronic illness, membership of a board of a student organisation or participation in sports at an international level.

The Study Advisor or your Tutor can refer you to a Student Counsellor if you wish to terminate your enrolment due to illness or exceptional family circumstances, if you face financial problems or if you wish to make use of the university schemes offering financial support.

To schedule an appointment, contact Student Services.

Skills Lab - the gateway to your academic development- is an accessible service desk where UU students can get a clear idea of what courses, workshops, individual tutoring, electronic tools, etc. are available to them. Much is available, but this wealth or resources can be hard to find and access for students with specific questions. We can show students where to go to improve any skill, be it writing, presentation, studying, or job-hunting.

You can visit the Career Officer to discuss your options in the labour market. The Career Officer is fully informed about the labour market for university graduates and can also help you decide which career to choose. The Career Officer can also provide a career training and check your application letter and CV. Read more on Career Services.

If you are unsure if your bachelor programme is right for you, talk to your program's tutor and/or study advisor. You can also make an appointment with the study choice advisor:

More information about Study choice.

Caring Universities offers free online programs to help improve students' mental health. All programs are evidence-based, created by clinical psychologists, and include online coaching. Read more on the page about Caring Universities.

If you feel you have not been treated properly by someone employed by Utrecht University, or if you disagree with a decision that affects you personally, you can respond.

Your complaint may relate to one of the following:

  • Supervision of your thesis or practical
  • Failure to provide educational activities or administer examinations as scheduled
  • Behaviour of a member of academic teaching staff or another member of staff
  • Response to a letter

You may opt for an informal approach: You can also approach the person who caused the problem and attempt to reach an amicable solution with them. You can also discuss your complaint with the Study Advisor of your faculty/department or the Student Counsellor.

If you feel your complaint is severe, or if it is difficult to discuss or if the problem was not solved informally, you can file a complaint:

Utrecht University thinks it is important to have a safe social climate for all students and employees. We treat each other with respect. Nevertheless, students or employees might be approached in a way that is inappropriate to them.

Inappropriate behaviour includes, but is not limited to: (sexual) harassment, discrimination, agression, violence or bullying.The result might be that you feel no longer safe at the university or in private."

You can contact a Confidential Counsellor for Inappropriate Behaviour for education, shelter, supervision and mediation. The information provided is always confidential.

More information.


Studying without Limitations is a platform for and by students with a disability. Besides involvement in policy decisions and providing information they also offer guidance for students with a disability such as dyslexia, AD(H)D, autism and so on. Do you want more information, or would you like to have a buddy for extra support or guidance regarding your study or themes outside your study such as in living, working and going out? Then perhaps our buddy programme is something for you.

More information.


The Integrity Counselor is there for all employees and students of the Faculty who have questions or dilemmas or want to discuss situations in the field of integrity, academic dishonesty in various issues for example  in education, in research, in collaboration with external partners etc. The contact person is an independent, confidential and low-threshold sparring partner for a collegial discussion of questions and dilemmas. The counsellor is obliged to observe secrecy about what has become known to him in that capacity.

Integrity Counsellor REBO: dr. Inge Claringbould (