Fund VIGU (translates to Friends of the Institute for History Utrecht University) subsidizes extracurricular activities of students and professors of history programs at Utrecht University.
Fund VIGU has a board of three professors of history from the Department of History and Art History:
- Marloes Beers (president)
- Pieter Huistra (treasurer)
- Roel Frakking (secretary)
The board decides, four times each year, about subsidies. Deadlines for applications are: November 1st, Februari 1st, May 1st, and August 1st.
Subsidies are granted to publications, field trips, symposiums etc. Examples: a lustrum of the Utrecht Historical Students' Circle (UHSK), a field trip (organized by students and their professor) to Berlin, museum visits etc.
General rules for subsidies
- Min. € 10 per person for history students
- Max. € 40 per person, or 5% of the amount of each student's own contribution
- € 10 for one-day trips
- € 20 for trips with 1-4 overnight stays
- € 30 for trips in Europe with 5 ore more nights
- € 40 for trips outside Europe
The board will decide about other applications not covered by these rules. There is a maximum of € 1000 per application.
How to apply
Applications should meet the following demands:
- Applications should be made in a letter, stating the activity and its relation to the study of history in our Department;
- The letter is addressed to Fonds VIGU, c/o secretary Fonds VIGU, Departement Geschiedenis en Kunstgeschiedenis Universiteit Utrecht, Drift 10, 3512 BS Utrecht;
- Fund VIGU subsidizes a deficit in your budget, payable post facto. This means that if your activity turns out to have cost less than estimated, you will receive a lower subsidy, or even no subsidy at all.
- You must submit a conveniently divided budget, allowing for 10% contingencies ("post: onvoorzien");
- Your budget should mention students' contributions and indicate that you have applied for other subsidies besides the Fund VIGU. Fund VIGU only partially supports your activities.
Email: Roel Frakking (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mailbox: fonds VIGU Drift 6
Students who wish to participate in international conferences, may apply for a Graduate School of Humanities Conference Grant with a maximum of 500 Euro. Applications can be submitted to the Graduate School of Humanities, including a short motivation. Deadlines for applications are 1 May and 1 December. See for more details the Conference Grant Call (pdf).
Please note! Applicants who do not present at a conference do not qualify for a grant.