Retake and deregistration for an exam
On this page, you will find the conditions under which you qualify for a resit. You will also find information here on how to notify us in case of illness or unforeseen circumstances if you need to cancel a test.
You can retake an exam (referred to as 'repair' in official documents) in the following cases:
- Failing grade(s)
- If you have scored between 4 and 5.5 for a mandatory partial exam (i.e., an exam for which you are required to achieve a minimum grade - see the course manual for any additional requirements)
- If you have scored between 4 and 5.5 for the course and have fulfilled the effort obligation. You may retake the failing final grade once (the course coordinator determines the format, content, and date and informs you)
- Missing a mandatory partial or final exam due to illness or force majeure
- You can take the (regular) retake exam as your first opportunity, provided you have timely notified via Osiris Case (see below)
- If you receive a failing final grade between 4 and 5.5 after taking this – your first – opportunity, you are allowed to retake this grade once.
If you miss the retake, you are not entitled to another chance.
Are you unwell or facing unforeseen circumstances? Please pre-register your absence for an examination using the steps below. Following your notification, you will receive an invitation for the resit exam. Please note: if you also miss lectures, kindly contact your lecturer.
Are you a Humanities student?
Please deregister via Osiris Case. Navigate to Osiris > Cases > My cases > Start case > Curriculum Matters > HUM: Deregistration test.
If you are not a Humanities student
If you study at a different faculty, another university, or are a contract student, please deregister using the examination deregistration form.
Additional exam opportunity after the resit exam
You are eligible for an additional supplementary or replacement exam to repair your final grade if you meet the following criteria:
- You were unable to participate in the regular exam due to illness or unforeseen circumstances.
- You deregistered in a timely manner for that exam.
- You participated in the regular resit exam (as the first opportunity).
- Your final grade for the course falls between 4.0 and 5.5.
- You fulfilled all course requirements during the semester.
Submit a request to a Humanities study advisor during their phone consultation hours. The study advisor may request proof of illness or unforeseen circumstances during the missed exam opportunity.
Missed the resit exam?
If you miss a regular resit exam, you will need to retake the course in the following academic year.
Is your request for an additional exam opportunity rejected?
And do you believe you are entitled to it? You may appeal your request to the examination board.
Missing class due to illness
Notify your lecturer and inquire if a fellow student can share their notes with you afterwards.
Prolonged absence from education due to illness
The course manual outlines the requirements for each course. In principle, you should attend 80% of all lectures. If you are absent for an extended period, please contact your lecturer and the academic advisor.
Absence from an examination
Always follow the steps outlined above to report your absence.