The BA in History is a three-year degree programme that sums up to a study load of 180 EC.
- 120 EC Major (your programme's main subject) - years 1, 2 and 3
- Year 1: Core profiles (60 EC)
- Year 2 and Year 3: Specialisation (30 EC), writing skills (7,5 EC), Theory of History (7,5 EC) and Bachelor's thesis (15 EC)
- 60 EC Electives (optional course profile) - year 2 and 3
- Optional course package (30 EC), with a minor or studying abroad
- Free courses (30 EC) from all the courses Utrecht University has on offer
Which courses you will need to take depends on the year you started your Bachelor's programme.
Study programme per start year
The Education and Examination Regulations (EER) state exactly which requirements you must meet in order to graduate and what you must do in case you failed to complete any of your courses. You will graduate when you have met all the requirements of your examination programme.
Below are some examples of study plan, depending on the year in which you started your studies:
Started in 2021 and 2022
Started before 2021
Questions about your study plan?
Do you need help with your study planning? You can always refer to My planning in the Course planner or contact your tutor or Study Advisor.
Approval, study progress, marks and entry requirements
If you want to deviate from the exam programme mentioned in the Education and Examination Regulations, you will have to ask for approval beforehand. If your request is approved, it will eventually also be entered into OSIRIS, and incorporated into your examination programme and study progress overview.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Student Information Desk.