The questions below only apply to the Humanities faculty. If you have any questions about courses or regulations outside the Humanities, please contact the relevant faculty information desk. Is your question not listed here? Mail the Student Information Desk:

I'm a Humanities student and I have a question

Course enrolment & education

  • What about international students who wish to return to home or who have already returned?
    As an international student, you will be given the choice whether or not to return to Utrecht in order to finish a course that cannot be completed online. If you do not wish to return, we will look for an alternative that allows you to stay in your home country.
  • To what extent is taken into account taken that online education can make studying more difficult?
    We fully understand that online education has certain drawbacks. On the other hand, this form of education also has its advantages. For example, you don't lose time by traveling and you it is easier to watch back a lecture. If you still have problems with this form of education, you can go to the Skills Lab website for tips. If you still have questions about online learning, or about the consequences of online education for your study progress, ask your instructor or study advisor.

BSA & Study delay

  • What does it mean if I have a study delay due to Corona? To what extent is this taken into account?
    If you have or have had Corona, and as a result of this you have a delay in your studies, you can apply for financial compensation due to force majeure. If you have not had corona, but you do suffer a study delay due to the measures relating to the corona virus, a separate arrangement will be made for this. Utrecht University is currently drawing up a separate regulation. On our page about force majeure you will find more information about this under the heading Study delay as a result of the corona virus.
  • What does it mean for my BSA if I have a study delay due to the corona crisis? To what extent will this be taken into account? 
    • Positive BSA: at least 45 EC at the end of the academic year.
    • Negative BSA: 7,5 EC or less at the end of period 2 and less than 45 EC at the end of the academic year. 
    • Deferral / postponed BSA: 15 EC or more at the end of period 2 and less than 45 EC at the end of the academic year. In order to receive a positive advice, you must have obtained at least 60 credits at the end of your 2nd academic year, of which at least 45 EC in first-year courses.

Internship & study abroad

  • What about exchange programs?
    All on-campus exchange programmes in the first semester of academic year 2020-2021 have been cancelled. This applies to both incoming and outgoing exchange students. For more information about the UU exchange programmes, please visit our page on Travel & exchange
  • I’m supposed to do an internship. What should I do?
    The faculty of Humanities is working on a solution. 
    • Bachelor students: please contact your department’s internship coordinator as well as your internship contact within your programme.
    • Master students: please contact your programme coordinator if you have any questions - unless you are already in touch with your programme’s internship coordinator or an internship supervisor: in that case, please contact them.


  • Will I be able to graduate this year?
    Yes, you can. The Graduation Office will inform you once you have met all requirements for graduation and explain the graduation procedure.
  • What will happen to my graduation ceremony?
    We are doing our utmost to ensure that you can receive your diploma during a festive graduation ceremony in the autumn (October/November). We hope to make this possible for all students, but it will be in an adapted form due to corona. More information will follow soon. If you are not able to attend the ceremony, you can pick up your diploma at the Student Information Desk Humanities afterwards. If this is not possible due to measures concerning the corona, it may be an option that we send your diploma by post. Unfortunately we do not know yet, when this is possible and under what conditions. Our premises are still closed and therefore it is not (yet) possible to print any diplomas.
  • Can I still graduate cum laude if my study progress is delayed due to the coronavirus?
    On a once-only basis we have decided that in order to be eligible for cum laude, as a Humanities student, you will have five months longer to do so (until 31 January 2021). The other conditions of eligibility for a cum laude degree classification continue to apply. These conditions can be found in Article 6.2 of the Education and Examination Regulations (OER).


  • How can I obtain a certified transcript of my grades?
    Please contact the Student Information Desk Humanities. They can provide you with a digital transcript of your grades. Unfortunately, it is not possible to make a signed and stamped transcript right now, but the Student Information Desk can send your transcript directly to a third party (such as another university or an employer) if necessary. 

Master Admission

  • Will I be able to start with the Master's programme I have been conditionally admitted to, even though I may not have finished my Bachelor's programme by 1 September due to Corona?
    If you have been conditionally admitted to a master's programme, but you haven't quite finished your bachelor's degree by September 1, you can still start your master's degree. CYou can only start your Master’s if you are missing no more than 15 EC and your study delay occurred in block 3 and/or 4, i.e. between February 3 and June 26, 2020. Do you meet these conditions? Then fill in the application form before 17 August. Please also take the following into account:
    • The delay must be due to corona measures.
    • You were enrolled in courses and participated in them.
    • You’ve been conditionally admitted to the Master’s.
    • You must complete the missing 15 EC as soon as possible, but no later than 31 August 2021. If this is not the case, you will not be allowed to continue your Master's education from 1 September 2021 onwards.
    • You may only start your Master's thesis once you have successfully completed your Bachelor's thesis.

    Not sure if you are eligible? In that case, just to be on the safe side, it is best to submit an application. The masters' programmes admissions committee will assess your application.

  • I’m applying for a Master’s programme and I cannot obtain all required documents, what should I do?
    If you are currently unable to have your list of grades stamped and signed by your educational institution, you can complete your file by uploading a non-certified list of grades and sending us the certified list of grades at a later date.


  • Who can I turn to within the UU in case I experience extra stress due to corona virus?
    • ​If you wish to share experiences with fellow students:you can take part in an intervision group Studying from home organised by the Wellbeing trainers Humanities.
    • Do you prefer to talk individually about what you are experiencing? In that case, you can make an appointment with your Study Advisor (make an appointment via the Student Information Desk Humanities, 030 253 6285) or you can book an appointment for a 'bright conversation'.
    • When you need help with personal problems and study problems: the student psychologists can offer you (short-term) help or treatment for study-related or personal problems. 
    • In case you wish some assistance in planning, keeping structure, writing and studying from home: our Skillslab can help you with online writing and study coaching as well asnd help with the practical aspects of studying.