Want to expand your horizons and add extra challenge to your studies? Then follow part of your study programme abroad! On this page you will find information on studying abroad that applies to your study programme. Via the button below you can read all important general information, such as various options, destinations and the application deadline.General information about Studying Abroad
Exchange information for Humanities
If you want to apply for an exchange, you must meet the following criteria:
- During your exchange, you are enrolled as a full-time student at Utrecht University.
- You must be registered for a master programme.
- The courses you follow during your study abroad must be included in your study programme.
If you meet the conditions, you will need the following application form as well:
The application form is available for download here.
Follow the instructions in the form and make sure you fill in all parts completely and in English before uploading the document in your Osiris application. The form is an important part of the selection, especially if there are more applications than places.
Always discuss your plans upfront with your programme coordinator or appointed contact person of your programme.
For faculty-specific destinations selection is based on your entire application, with a focus on the application from. We determine your suitability based on your academic background, language proficiency in the language of instruction and chosen courses if applicable. We always start with the first choice. In the event of more applications and equal suitability, we will allocate the places by drawing lots.
If your choices contain university-wide destinations, the university-wide International Office will process those applications. If there are more applications than available places, selection will be based on drawing lots.
You have to ask the Board of Examiners for approval of the courses you plan to take abroad, so that you can include them in your study programme. The Board of Examiners determines whether the courses are of sufficient academic level and verifies that they do not overlap with other courses in your program of study. You can submit the request for approval as soon as you are sure which courses you want to take.
Utrecht University's policy is based on the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs' travel advice. In principle, you are not allowed to travel abroad for an exchange, internship or other study-related activity in a region for which the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has issued travel advice of the classification orange or red. You may therefore only travel if there is a green or yellow travel advice.
Please note! Students who travel abroad despite the orange or red travel advice will not receive any credits for the study components in question.
Do you want to travel abroad despite a negative travel advice from the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs? Then you must submit an official request for an exemption.
In some cases, it is possible to study abroad despite a negative travel advice. The faculty board can grant exceptions, but they have limited room for such cases. They consider the following criteria:
- You are already residing abroad and have found an internship or study opportunity there. Therefore, you do not need to travel. This criterion usually applies to international students.
- You must complete a specific study component abroad that has no alternative and cannot be completed in the Netherlands. According to Utrecht University, there are sufficient guarantees that your safety and health will not be at risk.
If you wish to submit an exception request, please fill out this form and email it to the Education Director of your department:
- Department of Language, Literature, and Communication: onderwijsdirecteurenTLC.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department of History and Art History: email@example.com
- Department of Media and Culture Studies: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies: OnderwijsdirecteurFenR.email@example.com
- Liberal Arts and Sciences: firstname.lastname@example.org
If it concerns an internship abroad, please cc your email to your internship coordinator and internship tutor.