When do you graduate?
You graduate when:
- you meet the examination requirements from the Education and Examination Regulations (EER) of your programme.
- all your study results have been registered in OSIRIS.
As soon as the grades you need have been registered in Osiris, you can terminate your enrolment via https://www.studielink.nl. You do not have to wait for the Board of Examiners to notify you of your graduation. Your enrolment will end on the 1st day of the following month. If you graduate in Summer, your enrolment will automatically expire and you will not have to do anything.
What do you need to do in order to graduate?
- Regularly check your study progress overview in Osiris.
- Are there any results under Other that should count towards your study programme? If so, please inform the Graduation Office.
- If you have obtained results outside Utrecht University that are not listed in Osiris, please request approval from the Board of Examiners.
- Honours minor courses do not count towards your graduation and are therefore listed in Osiris under Other. They will, of course, be listed on your diploma supplement.
- Is it taking too long for a grade to be registered? In this case, feel free to contact your professor and indicate that you would like to graduate as soon as possible.
- Upload your thesis/dissertation to the UU digital thesis archive.
After you graduate
- Terminate your enrolment as soon as possible via Studielink.
- Would you like to continue studying? You can, but you will still have to pay tuition fees.
- Do you want to postpone your graduation and do you meet the requirements? Then submit a request for postponement within 2 weeks of receiving the graduation email.
- Are you not sure what you would like to do next? Our Career Services offer workshops and advice about future possibilities, jobs, etcetera.
- If applicable, terminate your student grant and public transport card at DUO.
- Do you need a graduation statement? Approximately 4 weeks after your exam date, you can request a statement that you have completed your programme at DUO's Diploma Register.
Graduating on the 31st of August?
Do you need a graduation statement before the 31st of August? If so, please fill in our request form (after all of your results are shown in your study progress overview). We will try to mail your statement to you and the institution in question within a week.
Once you have finished your education, you can start looking for a job or start a PhD. Are you not sure what to do next? Check our Career Services for tips, help or advice. And don't forget to register with the UU Alumni Office!
Possible career opportunities after you finished this master
The Master's programme in Arts and Society prepares arts professionals for a range of careers:
- Ministries of Culture
- Urban Planning, Design and Strategy
- Design Thinking and Creative Strategy and Research
- Creative Management
- Creative Production
- Arts collectives
- Arts foundations
- Grant-making foundations
- Arts-focused public sector enterprise and non-profit organisations
- Arts and entertainment companies
- Festival/event conceptualization and planning
- Education, community outreach or audience development for mainstream arts institutions such as museums, galleries, theatres and concert halls
- Multi sector arts-based initiatives (arts in hospitals, prisons, refugee centers, etc.)
- Curating and programming internationally and cross-culturally
- Arts-based community organizing and advocacy
- Arts and cultural consulting
- Arts and cultural policy advising at the local, national, regional and international levels
- Arts and culture research, writing and criticism
- Tourism policy and product development
The main purpose of the programme is to prepare students for a professional career in the cultural sector. In principle, the two-year Research Master in Media, Arts and Performance Studies provides better preparation for a PhD trajectory, but it is in some cases possible to continue in such a trajectory after finishing the Arts and Society programme.
Graduates become alumni of Utrecht University.
Do you think you have graduated and have you not yet received a notification? Did you obtain (foreign) credits in the past that are not yet listed in OSIRIS? Do you have another question about the graduation procedure? Then contact the Student Desk Humanities.
The programme organises a graduation ceremony a couple of times per year. You will get an email invitation with the exact time and location of the ceremony when the date is set.