Are you planning to follow courses that are not part of your standard curriculum? Put in a request with the Board of Examiners to approve these courses, so that they can count toward your degree. Your can find your standard study programme in the Education and Examination Regulations (see menu on the left).


Have you completed master's courses or a master degree before you were registered as a student at Utrecht University? Or do you have relevant work experience? You may be eligible for exemption for some courses of your study programme.

Submitting a request

Use Osiris Student to submit a request to the Board of Examiners. You can start a request via the first tab Cases in the top left corner. Then click on My cases. A new window will open. Make sure your pop-up blocker is turned off for the new window to open.

You can upload the requested documents within the form. If uploading the document is not possible, you can hand it in at the Student Desk Humanities. State your student number and the application date on all documents.

When can you expect a decision? 

The Board of Examiners decides on your request within six weeks from the date they have received your complete request. During the summer holidays (July and August) this period may be exceeded. You will receive the decision by e-mail and you will be able to see it in Osiris.


If you have any questions regarding the decision, please contact the Humanities Student Desk. 

Do you disagree with the decision?

If you disagree with the Board's decision you may submit a digital notice of appeal to the Examination Appeals Board of Utrecht University within six weeks of the day on which the decision was announced.

Put in a request for approval if you want to take courses that are not part of your standard study programme.

Courses within Utrecht University

Go to Osiris Student and submit your request (tab 'Cases'). State the courses that you wish to follow. Also indicate how you want to include these courses in your programme, e.g. as an elective, or instead of a compulsary course.

Courses from other Dutch or international universities

A request for approval of courses from other universities consists of two steps:

  • Ask approval prior to taking the course(s) you wish to follow.
    • Upload course description(s), including information on the method(s) of assessment.
  • After completion of the course(s) ask for registration of the obtained credits in Osiris by handing in your transcript listing the courses, grades and credits you have obtained.
    • The transcript must be either an original document or a certified copy. You can ask the Student Desk Humanities to certify a copy upon showing the original transcript. A scan or copy of a certified document will not be accepted. The transcript can be handed in at the Student Desk Humanities at Drift 10. 
    • It is also possible to have the other University e-mail the transcript directly to us:

If you have taken different courses than those previously approved by the Board of Examiners, you must put in a new request for approval through Osiris > Case.

Translation to Dutch grades takes place on the basis of this conversion table and the information available on the transcript.

Please note that as of the academic year 2019 - 2020, grades from foreign universities are no longer translated to the Dutch scale (1-10). Instead, they will be converted to the alphanumerical results Pass/Fail.

Exemption may be granted on the basis of credits accumulated before you were registered at Utrecht University, or on the basis of relevant work experience. The Board of Examiners will always assess wether you have fullfilled the learning goals of a specific course or part of the programme, before granting an exemption. 

Previously accumulated credits

Go to Osiris Student and submit your request (tab 'Cases'). Hand in a certified transcript (= a list with the courses, grades and credits you have obtained) at the Student Desk, Drift 10. You can ask the Student Desk Humanities to certify a copy upon showing the original transcript and/or diploma. A scan or copy of a certified document will not be accepted.

Work experience

If your application for exemption is based on relevant work experience, upload a copy of your employment contract and a description of the relevant work experience.

  • Harald Hendrix (chair)
  • Sven Dupré
  • Daniel Janssen
  • Chiel Kattenbelt
  • Jesse Mulder
  • Henriëtte de Swart

The Board of Examiners is assisted by the Board's executive secretary, Erna Kamerbeek

Contact information

Board of Examiners
Concerning: <name study programme>
Drift 10