The Netherlands Institute Athens (NIA)
One of the focal points for the Summer School at NIA in 2023 is ‘Cultural Management, Heritage Tourism and Cities’. Participants will get the opportunity to explore the specificities of heritage management, heritage tourism and heritage-led urban development in Athens. They will also be introduced to the contemporary challenges of the city of Athens.
Special attention will be given to sustainable tourism planning and the effects of tourism, as well as leisure activities on heritage and the historic city centre. Understanding this interrelationship is crucial for heritage policy, tourism development, and sustainable development.
NIA also has expertise in Ancient Technologies, Materials, and Crafts. This strand of research will be explored through the following lenses:
- Their significance in the past and today
- As heritage assets but also as inspiration and as an element of any cultural landscape, may that be a city, village, or museum
- Through its connections with professionals that work in these fields today
For students who are interested in:
- Ancient Technology and Crafts
- Heritage and Social Cohesion
- Contested Heritage
- Urban Heritage-led Development
- Heritage and Activism
- Touristification, heritage, and the role of city marketing