Every year, you need to re-enrol as a student for your programme. Vice versa, you need to personally terminate your enrolment in the national Studielink student registry upon graduation or in the event of a premature termination of your studies with us.  The list below offers some handholds through the various aspects of university enrolment.

You are required to re-enrol annually in order to continue your studies at Utrecht University.

Please note! It is only possible to enrol with a starting date of 1 September. There is one exception; if you’re starting a master’s programme with an official starting date in February, then you may enrol as of 1 February. Did you start your master's in February? Then you need to re-enrol again in September of that same year.

As an international student from outside the European Union you also need to (re-)enrol via Studielink. You can only re-enrol when you have a valid residence permit. Most, but not all, residence permits are renewed annually.

Academic requirements for residence permit renewal

The Dutch government has set certain standards that you have to live up to for your student residence permit to be renewed. At the end of every academic year, you have to have successfully completed courses with a total minimum course load of 30 ECs. The National Immigration Services dept requests a proof of progress for every international student in July. You do not have to provide these documents yourself, this is done for you by Student Affairs of the Faculty of Science. If you are in the middle of an internship or research project and have not yet been awarded any ECs for your work, your supervisor will be asked to vouch for your progress.

Read the clear instructions on how to go about terminating your enrolment and details concerning refunds.

Please note! Graduating does not mean that your enrolment at Utrecht University will also terminate. You need to personally terminate your enrolment via Studielink.

You can terminate your enrolment per the first of the following month after graduating or deciding to discontinue your studies. In both cases, you may be eligible for a tuition fee refund. You are entitled to a refund of 1/12th of the total tuition fees for that academic year for each month you are no longer enrolled. If you graduate in June, July, or August, then there is no need to terminate your enrolment, since termination of enrolment as of 1 July or 1 August will not entitle you to any refund of tuition fees. If you do not terminate your enrolment it will end automatically as of 1 September.