The courses below are 7,5 EC (unless indicated otherwise). The period (1/2/3/4) and time slot (A/B/C/D) are stated in parentheses per course, see schedules. You take 15 EC per period from different timeslots. You have to register for courses yourself.
In your first year you take eight courses (60 EC). The focus in these courses varies from scientific and academic writing, advanced and specialised research methods and techniques, and writing a research proposal for your Master's thesis, to urban and economic subject matters. Such as:
- why people and businesses concentrate in cities.
- core and new developments in urban and economic geography.
- how do cities react to or prevent shocks (e.g. economic, social) from an evolutionary perspective.
- social inequality and its different dimensions in cities.
- a study abroad term
- a scientific paper, suitable for publication in a peer reviewed scientific journal and/or a thesis report
You will also take two more courses (15 EC), focussing on writing a scientific (PhD) research proposal and on the orientation on an academic or professional career and reflection on personal development.