Welcome to your Master’s programme!
During the orientation you will meet your fellow students and future lecturers, and get acquainted with the study programme itself. You will also receive information about practical matters that will come in handy during your studies.
See you during the orientation programme!
Last updated: 4 August 2022
The orientation programme for the Master's programme Sustainable Development will be held from 5 - 9 September 2022. There might be small changes in the programme, so please keep an eye on this page.
Monday 5 September 2022
|10:00 -11:00||Welcome to Sustainable Development||Programme leader Frank van Laerhoven & Study Association Storm||BOL 1.206|
|13:15 - 14:15||Meet your track coordinator|
- E&M Robert Harmsen
- ECE Angeles Gracia Mayor
- ESG James Patterson
- ID Kei Otsuki
|E&M: MIN 0.13|
ECE: MIN 0.16
ESG: BBG 005, BBG 007
ID: MIN 0.18
|14:30 - 16:45||Campus tour containing year book pictures and Storm enrolment||Study Association Storm||VMA 1.13|
|18:00 - ...||Pizza & drinks in the park||Study Association Storm||Wilhelminapark, Utrecht|
Tuesday 6 September 2022
|Before 11:30||Online preparation Scientific Integrity Workshop (30 min.)||At your own time||online, individual preparation|
|11:30 - 12:30||Scientific Integrity Workshop||Frank van Laerhoven & workshop leaders||E&M: BOL 1.070, BOL 1.055|
ECE: BOL 1.070, BOL 1.055
ESG: BBG 0.61, BBG 0.83
ID: BBG 1.19
|13:00 - 14:00||Meet your study advisors||Study Advisors Pieter Louwman & Sacha Handgraaf||KBG Atlas|
Wednesday 7 September 2022
|13:15 - 17:00||Lecture Track ID: Development Themes (GEO4-3510)||Kei Otsuki||RUPPERT A|
Thursday 8 September 2022
|9:00 - 10:45||Lecture Track E&M: Tools for Energy & Materials Analysis (GEO4-2326)||Robert Harmsen||RUPPERT B|
|9:00 - 10:45||Lecture Track ECE: Global Environmental Change (GEO4-2310)||Max Rietkerk||RUPPERT 042|
|11:00 - 12:45||Lecture Track ESG: Foundations of ESG Research (GEO4-2306)||Frank Biermann||RUPPERT A|
|11:00 - 12:45||Practical Track E&M: Tools for Energy & Materials Analysis (GEO4-2326)||Robert Harmsen||See MyTimetable for your group number and location|
|12:45 - 13:15||Free lunch pick-up at the Storm office||Study Association Storm||BBG - 2.79|
|13:15 - 15:00||Lecture: Perspective on Sustainable Development (GEO4-2301)||Diana Vela Almeida||KBG Atlas|
|15:15 - 17:00||Practical: Perspective on Sustainable Development (GEO4-2301)||Diana Vela Almeida||See MyTimetable for your group number and location|
|20:00 - 22:00||Pubquiz at Walden||Study Association Storm||Bar Walden, City Center|
Friday 9 September 2022
|13:15 - 17:00||Lecture Track ID: Development Themes (GEO4-3510)||Kei Otsuki||RUPPERT 042|
|14:00 - 17:00||Afternoon games and snacks at Weide tot Vermaeck||Study Association Storm||Weide tot Vermaeck, Amelisweerd|
|18:30-21:00||Dinner at Florin||Study Association Storm||Nobelstraat 2, Utrecht|
|22:00 - ...||Going out at Poema to close off the week||Study Association Storm||Club Poema, Utrecht|
- BOL: Bolognalaan 101, Utrecht
- BBG: Buys Ballot building, entrance via Victor J. Koningsbergergebouw, Budapestlaan 4a-b
- MIN: Minnaert building, Leuvenlaan 4
- VMA: Vening Meinesz building A, Princetonlaan 8a
- KBG: Victor J. Koningsberger building, Budapestlaan 4a-b
- RUPPERT: Marinus Ruppert building, Leuvenlaan 21
You will find information about your study programme, studying at Utrecht University and so forth on this Sustainable Development students website. TIP: bookmark this page!
- Read more about the content of your study programme, such as your compulsory and elective courses.
- You will be automatically registered for your courses for the first period only. After this you have to arrange the course registration yourself.
- Your course schedule will be available four weeks before your courses begin. Also see the academic calendar.
- Study materials -such as books and readers- can be ordered online.
- You will need to use your own laptop for computer practicals during your studies. You can also use it for other classes. There are specifications that your laptop needs to meet.
- Your Solis-id is your username for most university IT facilities (Blackboard, OSIRIS, WiFi, printing). You will receive your login details shortly before the beginning of your programme by email.
All practical matters will be addressed during the first week of your programme.
As an international student there are certain things you have to arrange when coming to Utrecht University, such as finding accommodation, paying your fee(s) and other practical matters. To help you on your way we have a special ‘Welcome to Utrecht’- webpage with:
- a checklist of things to do before and upon arrival.
- an orientation programme for international students.
Make sure to come to the general orientation for international students of Utrecht University. Don’t forget to sign up on our special ‘Welcome to Utrecht’-webpage.
It is also possible to participate in the Utrecht Introduction Time (UIT) week. This will take place from 15 - 18 August 2022. It is a general city introduction open to anyone who is going to study in Utrecht. Here you can meet students of Utrecht University (UU), University of Applied Sciences Utrecht (HU), University of the Arts Utrecht (HKU) and University of Humanistic Studies (UvH) among others. But also get to know all the student organisations that Utrecht has and of course the city itself.
Do you wish to join? Then register on time!