To graduate, please follow these steps:
To graduate you must meet the following conditions:
- You must meet all the requirements of your exam programme.
This means that your study progress overview (SVO) in OSIRIS is complete and correct and that every component in your SVO is set on ‘yes’. If any of the information on your study progress review is incorrect or incomplete on the final hand-in date, you won’t be able to graduate that month. There are no exceptions to this rule.
- All results obtained must be registered in OSIRIS on the final hand-in date.You can find the monthly hand-in dates a bit lower on this page under Graduation Schedule. Are there any marks missing? Contact the lecture(s) concerned. Are any of the details incorrect? Send a message to Student Affairs Geosciences (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a brief explanation (and your full name and student number). Do you want to change a course in your study progress review? Email the Board of Examiners (email@example.com) with your request (mention your name, study programme and student number). Please note that the Board of Examiners has 6 weeks to respond to your request.
- You must be enrolled at the Utrecht University on your graduation date.
If you meet all the requirements of your exam programme and you are still enrolled, you will be notified on your UU email address in the week after the hand-in date. You will receive two emails:
Confirmation study progress review
In the week after the final hand-in date, the exam administration will send a email confirming that your study progress review is complete and correct and has been sent to the Board of Examiners for review. The email will also include a link to the exam registration form, which you need to fill out and return that week to the exam administration.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements of your study programme, the Board of Examiners will approve your graduation. If so, they will send you an email confirming your graduation and informing you of your official graduation date.
Do you need a graduation statement? Read on the verification page how to obtain one.
You can terminate your enrolment as soon as you have received the email informing you of your official graduation date.
You can either choose to terminate your enrolment after you graduate, or you can stay enrolled for the rest of the academic year. For instance, because you still want to do an internship. You have to actively terminate your enrolment yourself, this is never done automatically!
Please note! The termination date of your studies is always the 1st day of the month following your graduation date. You have to submit your request for termination of enrolment (in Studielink) before the 1st day of the month in which you no langer want to be enrolled. So, if you want to terminate your enrolment directly after you graduate, you only have a few days to arrange this. Furthermore, termination of enrolment as of 1 July or 1 August does not entitle you to a refund of tuition fee.
- Hand-in date: 21 October
- Graduation date: 31 October
- Hand-in date: 18 November
- Graduation date: 30 November
- Hand-in date: 16 December
- Graduation date: 23 December
- Hand-in date: 20 January
- Graduation date: 31 January
- Hand-in date: 17 February
- Graduation date: 28 February
- Hand-in date: 24 March
- Graduation date: 31 March
- Hand-in date: 21 April
- Graduation date: 28 April
- Hand-in date: 19 May
- Graduation date: 31 May
- Hand-in date: 23 June
- Graduation date: 30 June
- Hand-in date: 21 July
- Graduation date: 31 July
- Hand-in date: 25 August
- Graduation date: 31 August
How and when do you receive your degree certificate?
You can either receive your diploma at an official graduation ceremony, or you can collect it yourself at Student Affairs Geosciences. You can indicate your choice on the exam registration form that you receive with the study progress review confirmation email sent by the exam administration office.
You will receive an invitation for the graduation ceremony on your private e-mail address that is registered on Studielink. Please check timely whether this e-mail address is up-to-date. See 'graduation ceremony' for more information on upcoming ceremonies.
If you have indicated that you would like to pick up your diploma yourself, you will receive an email from Student Affairs as soon as it your diploma is ready.
Here are the upcoming graduation ceremonies. These take place in the auditorium of the University Hall. About two weeks in advance, we will send an invitation by email with the details, such as the exact date, time slot and the number of guests you can bring.
26 January 2023
FULL! Unfortunately, this ceremony has already reached its maximum capacity. If you graduate in December 2022 and indicated that you want to receive your diploma at an official graduation ceremony, you will be automatically assigned to the ceremony on 10 May 2023.
10 May 2023
- Please note: To be able to participate in the May 2023 ceremony, you have to be graduated on 31 March 2023 at the latest (hand-in date for last results: 24 March 2023).
20 June 2023
27 & 29 September 2023
- Please note: To be able to participate in the September 2023 ceremony, you have to be graduated on 31 August 2023 at the latest (hand-in date for last results: 25 August 2023).
- Please note that we assign you to a time slot on either one of these two days in September and that it is not possible to switch to the other day.
There are special regulations concerning graduation. You can graduate 'cum laude' and in some cases it is possible to postpone your graduation.
If you perform exceptionally well during your studies, the adjudication 'cum laude' may be added to your diploma to show that you have graduated 'with distinction'. Cum laude is the only distinction recorded on degree certificates. See the Education and Examination Regulations for Master's degree programmes (art. 6.2) for the requirements.
In certain cases, you can apply for postponement of graduation. The Board of Examiners assesses whether you are eligible for postponement of graduation.
You can submit your request before your graduation and no later than two weeks after you have received your graduation email. Please, indicate in your request until which specific date you request a postponement of graduation.
If you would like to submit a request to the Board of Examiners, please go to Cases on the Osiris Student homepage, and use the form GEO Submitting a request for the Board of Examiners. Thank you for your cooperation.
You can apply for postponement if:
- You are going to hold a management position for which an Utrecht University management participation grant is available.
Necessary documentation: None. The Board of Examiners will contact the student deans. Please do indicate which type of grant you plan to use and until which date you request postponement of graduation.
- You are going to do an internship.
Necessary documentation: An internship agreement signed by a representative of your degree programme.
- You are going to do degree programme components abroad.
Necessary documentation: a completed Course approval form.
You may be eligible for postponement of graduation in other cases as well. For more information on postponement of graduation, please consult the general Education and Examination Regulations of the Faculty of Geosciences.
Evaluation of your request
If you submit your request for postponement of graduation before the deadline, there are two possibilities:
- If your request is granted, you will receive a new graduation date. Two weeks before this date expires you will receive a new graduation mail, after which the normal procedure applies.
- If your request is rejected, you will graduate as planned.